UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2020, 9:28 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Which audio signal generator?

I have an old Marconi audio sig gen boat anchor vintage, with sine wave only, I was thinking do I need one with square wave plus sine wave out, when checking amplifier for distortion?

Mick.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 10:55 am   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Which audio signal generator.

Mick
There are plenty of small good used AF generators around, I would tend to go for a transistor unit from the likes of Farnell, Leader for which the manual is readily available and therefore easy to fix.
You need to consider what frequency range 10Hz to 100Khz is usually good enough and and if used for amplifiers sign and square wave and a distortion of less than 0.1%.
If it higher end amps then you will be looking at better units capable of at least 0.005% distortion and then you are into the territory of Radford, HP or one I like the Blackstar LDO 100. Avoid function generators unless you can afford a high end one as the distortion numbers are usually horrible. Finally you could consider using software on a PC but I prefer not to have the additional clutter on my bench.
I suspect quite a few people on the forum may have spare units so a request in the wanted section may bear fruit.
Good luck
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:08 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Audio generators fall into two main camps

The Wien bridge type is a low distortion sinewave oscillator. Many of which have a squarewave output achieved by using an analogue comparator to square-up the sine. These are the best choice for distortion measurements.

The Function generator type uses an integrator with switched currents to make a triangle waveform. A square wave output is available from the current switching operation. There isn't a sinewave in the basic oscillator, so a diode-based shaping network is used to turn the triangle wave into an approximate sinewave shape. The sine output from these things is not particularly low distortion. Most are pretty awful, many times worse than the audio circuitry you may be trying to measure.

More recently, a third flavour has emerged. There are digital signal sources that essentially replay chosen waveforms at a programmable speed. In the quest for low distortion and clean signals you run into issues of whether the waveform at the resolution it has fits into the period of the frequency you've chosen. They can be quite good, but there are hidden trip-ups, you won't always get the headline performance. What they are brilliant at is making arbitrary waveforms. If you can imagine it and make a spreadsheet of it sampled, it will make it for you.

Also there is software for operating the sound card in your computer. If done well, this can also have low distortion. The problem remains of it being connected and powered inside a very dirty environment (the computer) so how do you extract the wanted signal without the crap? There are special quality external sound cards to do this, made for music production.

David
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:09 am   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Square waves are must for audio work in my view.

Alan
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:15 am   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

For general audio work I would look at a Levell TG150D or TG200D.

The TG150 wil suffice for most purposes, the TG200 has a higher output and wider frequency range.

The D suffix indicates square wave output, if you also have an M suffix that indicates an output meter.

I wouldn`t touch a function generator for anything other than the most basic audio work.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 10:09 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Which audio signal generator?

Here is a couple I found for sale ,A Farnell LF1 10hz to 1mhz and a MFG 3002 ? to 2mhz any good ? Mick.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:02 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Those are examples of both sorts.

The Farnell LF1 is a reasonable Wien Bridge design, although not a very low distortion one, it's fine for audio work in general. Does squarewaves as well.

The MFG 3002 I found on Amazon. The FG in the name gives it away, it's a function generator so its sine output is approximated. Best avoid this type of signal generator, as Barry suggests. They are popular in general electronics labs, but do not suit decent audio or RF work. They can be useful at times but combine great versatility with limited performance in terms of cleanliness and the range of levels they can make.

David
Old 13th Sep 2020, 8:57 am   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Thank's for that David , so It's the LF1 up to now , Mick.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 5:58 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

You can make a very simple sine to square wave convertor using a scmidt trigger chip, see ESP for details, which is what I use, bnc onto a small board, PP3, bnc out. Problem is most decent wein bridge sinewave genny's don't have sq wv out. It's also possible to knock up a simple Wein bridge osc at spot frequencies for THD testing, something like 100hz, 440/1000hz 10khz, 20khz, though 1k will do, using an opamp and 28v lamp and few R's & C's.

There's also a brilliant bit of free software for PC called Soundcard Scope, it has a sig gen (low THD), THD meter (as good as a HP audio analyser), scope & FFT, goes up to 20khz.

So to reprise, old valve genny for manual sweep, spot genny for THD, bolt on sq wv convertor, PC for FFT, this gives you a very flexible audio test rig. Failing that Sugden did a test meter and low THD sine all in one little box, well worth getting one if one comes up.

Andy.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 8:19 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

This one's like mine, available as Gould or Advance or possibly Farnell

https://www.sglabs.it/en/product.php?s=gould-j3b&id=327

Low distortion, takes a few seconds to warm up and start oscillating (its not valve!).

Sine and square with balanced, unbalanced and TTL outputs, calibrated attenuators. Sufficient power output to drive speaker coil for reconing purposes.

Great for audio repairs and available quite cheaply (some on ebay now).
Old 14th Sep 2020, 10:23 pm   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

Thank's for that Kevin , I have taken the plunge and purchased the Farnell LF1 , Mick.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:01 am   #12
Julesomega
Nonode

You're lucky, Mick, the full service manual has just appeared on this forum thanks to Bryan M. I'd been looking out for this for ages, it hadn't previously made it onto the 'web. I'd wanted to say a thanks to Bryan but the thread was abruptly closed so I'll take the opportunity now

It's good here
Old 15th Sep 2020, 1:35 am   #13
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
You're lucky, Mick, the full service manual has just appeared on this forum thanks to Bryan M. I'd been looking out for this for ages, it hadn't previously made it onto the 'web. I'd wanted to say a thanks to Bryan but the thread was abruptly closed so I'll take the opportunity now
Sorry if I'm being dense, but I can't see Bryan M's posting with the service manual. Can you point me to it?

Mike
Old 15th Sep 2020, 7:03 am   #14
chriswood1900
Octode

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=Farnell
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:29 pm   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

That was the same thread. As a wanted it would have been lost, so I moved it to the test gear section for posterity. It is searchable.
Closed Thread