UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2020, 7:20 pm   #61
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: PIC 14 Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil__G View Post
Hi I'm new here but loving the MK14 enthusiasm, here's my home made SC/MP, it runs Kitbug into an Elekterminal (Thomson CSF96364) and still works 45? years on! Its extended from a basic idea published way back in Practical Electronics, I added rom, ram and i/o and the ultimate plan was to add NIBL but I never managed to locate a rom dump.
That is lovely thanks for sharing - that was the one in the April 1980 issue I assume:

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...cs-1980-04.pdf

There was an errata in the August 1980 issue as well. I see you did not make the Keyboard and two digit Hex display for it. Looking at the circuit again it is closer to the SCRUMPI project than I noticed before... Check out

http://scrumpi.uk which links to the thread on here if you have not seen it already.

Worth a scan in the homebrew section as well as KarenO has posted a few bits around NIBL computers you will find interesting.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 7:44 pm   #62
Slothie
Octode

I love the switches on your computer - proper computer toggles!
Old 8th Sep 2020, 8:56 pm   #63
Phil__G
Octode

Yes thats the one Tim, 1980 which was a bit later than I thought. With adding Kitbug and the Elekterminal I didnt bother with the hex display or keyboard, I have a stash of lovely TIL311's anyway so would have cheated! (why oh why did they stop making them?)
I have two copies of that mag, one original and one with my scribble (attached)

In a previous post I mentioned that I restore and refit old (1960 on) Radio Control outfits, with links to my projects - but it seems all this has been edited out? did I break a rule by sharing my projects?

Cheers
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scmp_mods_philg.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	215244  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 9:31 pm   #64
Timbucus
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil__G View Post
In a previous post I mentioned that I restore and refit old (1960 on) Radio Control outfits, with links to my projects - but it seems all this has been edited out? did I break a rule by sharing my projects?
Maybe due to moderation delay (all new users get a delay on posts) we have not seen it yet - or it was moved to a more appropriate section - we do try to stay on topic as much as we can - for example we are rapidly hijacking the PIC14 thread - maybe your device deserves a thread all of its own now we have all gone googley eyed on it - I was admiring the switches as well as Slothie.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 11:41 am   #65
AC/HL
Dekatron

Links to your homepage and YouTube channel can be posted in a Members introduction and news thread if you wish. There is also provision for a homepage in your profile. It will appear in the drop down under your avatar.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 11:50 am   #66
Slothie
Octode

I have decided that building a PIC14 is a project that I can undertake in my current circumstance, and by good luck when my sister delivered my laptop and some cables to me there were some parts that I can use, along with some donated to me by members of this forum (thanks Phil, Tim and Sirius!)
Since it looks like I'm going to be seperated from my parts collection and my MK14s building the PIC14 will at least give me some programming practice, as the software emulators I have found are somewhat lacking.
To this end I have made a spreadsheet of the Bill Of Materials so I can track progress of parts purchasing and make sure I get the right components... The only problem I may have is getting the PIC programmed but I may have to fall on the favour of someone on here
Anyhoo, here's the BOM and perhaps someone might give it a once-over i case I've missed anything obvious, and it may be handy for anyone else contemplating building one.

Footnote: I noticed that the link to the Eagle CAD files Phil posted ages ago seems to be dead now. I assume the zip was too big to attach to a post... perhaps Phil could upload his updated files somewhere (assuming he still wants to share them of course)?
Attached Files
File Type: xls PIC14_BOM.xls (213.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 12th Sep 2020, 4:32 pm   #67
Timbucus
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
Anyhoo, here's the BOM and perhaps someone might give it a once-over i case I've missed anything obvious, and it may be handy for anyone else contemplating building one.

Footnote: I noticed that the link to the Eagle CAD files Phil posted ages ago seems to be dead now. I assume the zip was too big to attach to a post... perhaps Phil could upload his updated files somewhere (assuming he still wants to share them of course)?
The BOM is handy thanks I keep meaning to build mine = I thought I had sent on one of his PCB's to you - I just checked and I only have the one - the other is the 1702 EPROM programmer.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 8:57 pm   #68
philoupat83
Pentode

Hello
available on transfer
pic14v4 version 2
pic14_7 version 1

https://www.dropbox.com/t/VvQHlsCi1RdO1HuX
Old 12th Sep 2020, 9:43 pm   #69
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Ian, if you are building up one of Phil's PIC14 PCBs do you need switches? We use compatible through-hole tact switches in a current product so I could probably swing some. No matching key caps though, as we use them in their bare state.

I may have a spare 16F877A and if so I could obviously programme it before sending it to you. Let me have a hunt around and check. Someone else here may beat me to it of course.

What else might you need - soldering iron, solder, side cutters...??
Old 12th Sep 2020, 9:57 pm   #70
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoupat83 View Post
Hello
available on transfer
pic14v4 version 2
pic14_7 version 1

https://www.dropbox.com/t/VvQHlsCi1RdO1HuX
Thanks phil, but its missing the schematic symbol files that end "-cache.lib" so the schematcs don't render unless you have an identical version of kicad.. The pcb and gerber files are fine though.

EDIT: Oh and the netlist file (.net) is important too.

Last edited by Slothie; 12th Sep 2020 at 10:09 pm. Reason: additional info
Old 12th Sep 2020, 10:00 pm   #71
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Come to that, I reckon that between us we could furnish whatever you need to get one of your black issue VI PCBs going. I have more than four IM6X... RAMs and a spare pair of unprogrammed, probably OK, Nat Semi DM74S571 PROMS.

Main problem would be an SC/MP II, and of course the 8154s are quite difficult to find at the moment.
Old 12th Sep 2020, 10:21 pm   #72
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Ian, if you are building up one of Phil's PIC14 PCBs do you need switches? We use compatible through-hole tact switches in a current product so I could probably swing some. No matching key caps though, as we use them in their bare state.

I may have a spare 16F877A and if so I could obviously programme it before sending it to you. Let me have a hunt around and check. Someone else here may beat me to it of course.

What else might you need - soldering iron, solder, side cutters...??
I have the tool situation sorted out, my neices husband gave me some spare sidecutters and a decent enough soldering iron etc he has upgraded from, and I've got some 6mm tact switches on the way from china already.....The PIC would be useful, but aside from that I have to get the diodes, transistors and passives but I think a small order from Farnell should sort that out. The connectors diodes and LED turned up in the box of "arduino" bits my sister dropped off by accident and the modules are cheap from eBay.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 11:16 am   #73
Slothie
Octode

Parts have started arriving! I was amused to find the 40 pin DIP socket arrive pushed into black carbon foam and in a anti-static box with a huge "Static Sensitive Device" sticker on it... Still I'm not complaining I've now got a little box to keep ICs in.

I'm still very impressed with Phil's board after inspecting it and measuring things. If I had one minor niggle it would be the tiny size of the capacitor footprints. I couldn't find all the values on any of my usual suppliers with a 3.5mm pitch and the ones I could were expensive. I almost got SMD components with the thought of just soldering them on over the holes, but I chickened out. In the end I've bought a set of ceramic capacitors that seem to have a narrow pitch and will just have to bend them to fit! They're meandering their way from China so they may be the last thing to arrive....
If I was being REALLY picky I might have asked for an ICSP header too, but since the board wasn't designed as a development board that really is being picky and is something I could probably bodge on if I wanted to.

I've also ordered the PIC because I found an interesting thread on EEVBLOG https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microc...rocontrollers/ that shows how to program a PIC with an arduino and specifically mentions the PIC 16F877A so as I have an Arduino Uno and a breadboard I thought I'd give it a spin. If all else fails I guess I can fall on the mercy of the forum!

When downloading the datasheets for the PIC I noticed they recommended the PIC16F18877 for new designs that appears to be pin compatible but has 4K of RAM and 56K of flash! So I might be able to modify it to emulate a fully expanded MK14 and get the TWONKEY program running. It does still only have 256 bytes of EEPROM so Karens clever non-volatile RAM would only be able to work for the standard Fxx memory but with the serial download feature and the fact that most projects would fit into that space means it would only be a minor inconvenience.

Now I just have to wait for some solder to arrive....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200917_104557.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	215830  
Old 17th Sep 2020, 11:50 am   #74
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Sorry I didn't get back on this earlier but I have been a one man department here at work for a couple of months now. I do have a spare 16F877A and the means to programme it so if you run into problems let me know.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 12:34 pm   #75
Slothie
Octode

Don't worry I wasn't making a dig! You guys have been more than generous and TBH I saw the thread and was intriqued, I didn't want to buy another PIC programmer because I have a PICKIT2 and 2 PICKIT3's along with a Velleman PIC programmer in storage but I like to do things myself especially if its the most arcane way possible

However when I am staring at the smoking remains of my PIC I'll PM you lol.
Old 18th Sep 2020, 11:45 am   #76
philoupat83
Pentode

Hello
sorry for the pcb but I work in eagle and then I do a kicad conversion
eagle routing kicad cosmetics
eagle file attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip pic14v4eagle.zip (404.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 18th Sep 2020, 1:20 pm   #77
Slothie
Octode

Thanks Phil. I don't know if I'll need them but I always feel happier if I have the files should I want to experiment further! There a a number of software changes I'm thinking of and maybe some might need a board change?
Old 18th Sep 2020, 10:00 pm   #78
Timbucus
Octode

Well I finally got around to ordering the PIC's to do this and build my board that Phil so kindly supplied - so I will see if my Linux setup and TL866+ are up to the job which they seem to be reading around.

I have such a backlog now of kits I nearly have the whole BOM for I need to start building some I think...
Old 19th Sep 2020, 11:49 am   #79
Timbucus
Octode

Well I got drawn in when I found I had almost all the parts lying around and assembled what I had onto the board ready...

Name:	IMG_3884.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	215978

I did finally find a use for some lovely 1/3 watt looking resistors that had been pulled from a project from BITD with short leads. I think R27 will have to wait though for a slightly smaller rated one...

Name:	IMG_3878.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	215979
Old 19th Sep 2020, 11:55 am   #80
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

My PCB is on my bench and it keeps looking at me reproachfully, but every time I think about making a start I get given another 'urgent' repair to do.

I do already have one PIC14 which I built some time ago in a calculator-style body but it would be nice to have this one going as well - as I've said before, there is nothing more melancholy than an unbuilt kit or project.
Closed Thread