UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2020, 8:37 am   #41
George60
Triode

Default Re: PIC 14 Karen

I used an octal Darlington inverter ULN2003AN. Works really well, no ghosting and it has 2.7k input resistors built in.
George
Old 25th Jul 2020, 9:22 am   #42
George60
Triode

That's a ULN2803AN
Old 25th Jul 2020, 12:01 pm   #43
Karen O
Rest in Peace

You've made some interesting mods there, George. Feel free to share them - that's kinda what we're all here for.

Yes, I have to confess that the PIC14 doesn't poll the SC/MP reset switch after every instruction. That's me using under-powered hardware again
Old 27th Jul 2020, 8:52 pm   #44
George60
Triode

Looking at the clock cycle padding section of your code I appreciate that a lot of effort went into this padding to make it match MK14 timings, and I'm guessing there had be to some sacrifices made to make that happen. As I mentioned I'm not so concerned about this accuracy unless it had some impact to what I'm working on.

I'll send some copies of the .asm's and hex files for the micro drive as I call it, but it will also have all the new TRIS and I/O instructions built in to it. I made separate code changes for the 877 and 876 because there was many more new instructions for the 877 with the D and E ports that I decided to keep these as illegal operations on the 876, but given that you provided one code for both I'm having a change of heart as I write. I'll test the 877 version on the 876 prototype and see if it works ok.

George
Old 28th Jul 2020, 9:36 am   #45
George60
Triode

I've attached two versions of the micro drive with new port instructions . Both versions will copy any one of the 14 pages of program memory to ram by using the SCMP reset along with one of the keys (0->D).

The first version PIC-14-10WR-14RD allows a copy of ram to be written to any of the first 10 pages of program memory by using the PIC reset along with one of the keys (0->9). This will protect the last 4 pages that hold the pre loaded games from being accidently written over.

The second version PIC-14-14WR-14RD has dropped the protection on the last 4 pages so a copy of ram can be stored in any one of the 14 pages of program memory by using the PIC reset along with one of the keys (0->D).

I tried to upload .asm and .hex files but they don't seem to be valid types so I've uploaded the .asm's as txt files. No hex files I'm afraid unless you know of a way to upload them.

I tested both versions on the 877 and 876 and they seem to be uploading ok.

There's details of all the changes in the txt files along with instructions on the key sequence required to activate the data transfer.

I hope they are clear enough. Let me know if you find anything wrong.

George
Old 28th Jul 2020, 10:02 am   #46
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

George, you can attach more or less any type of files to a post if you .zip them up, provided the total size of the .zip does not exceed the maximum allowed size for a .zip file.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 1:24 pm   #47
George60
Triode

Thanks for the advice.

I've zipped the files and attached them but I don't see the attachments as yet.
Do they take a while to get vetted or ?

George
Old 28th Jul 2020, 2:14 pm   #48
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Nor do we, unfortunately. I think you are still subject to 'new user' moderation and as such you may not be able to add attachments to posts, but then I would not have thought it would let you go through the motions of adding attachments.

Adding attachments is a two - step process, first you choose the file(s) then you upload them, I'm wondering if you are missing out the second step. You can see if you really have files attached by clicking 'preview' to review your message after attaching files. If you did successfully attach them you should see them attached in the preview.

For a .zip the maximum allowed zip file size is 4.00MB which would be fine for a few .asm and .hex files, but could get you into trouble if there are also images (ie, circuit drawings) in the .zip archive.

Incidentally you should be out of New User Moderation after just a few more posts.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 3:20 pm   #49
George60
Triode

They were listed in my Manage files at the time of my last post, and I uploaded them using the upload button, two original txt files and 1 zip file with 2 hex and 2 .asm's in it.

In my reply to you now they have disappeared or gone somewhere ?

George
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:23 pm   #50
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Nor do we, unfortunately. I think you are still subject to 'new user' moderation and as such you may not be able to add attachments to posts, but then I would not have thought it would let you go through the motions of adding attachments.
New users can submit attachments just like any member. Their post along with any attachments will need to be approved by a moderator though.

It's always best to use the preview button before submitting a post, then you can see whether your attachments actually got attached. A common problem is not clicking the upload button.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:39 pm   #51
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm afraid I still can't see your attachments in post #49. As Graham says, to verify that you really have attached them, 'preview' your post after attaching the files. If you can't see them attached to your post at that point then you have not really managed to attach them.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:46 pm   #52
George60
Triode

See if this works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PIC14-RWUPGRADE.zip (47.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:52 pm   #53
Station X

Sure did, but I haven't actually unzipped the files.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:59 pm   #54
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Yes, we see them now.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 6:03 pm   #55
George60
Triode

Thumbs down Re: PIC 14 Karen

A reminder on the key sequence.
1. Start by choosing which reset key to use. Try scmp reset first.
2. Press and hold the reset key along with a number key say A key .
3. With both held down, release the scmp key.
4. Then release the A key, typically an 000A will appear in the address field.
5. Type in th address 0F52, you should see H'C4'
6. If so try hitting Go and see if the moon landing game will run.

The idea behind the key press sequence is to make sure you have stopped the pic from processing anything until you hold down the key of the page you want the data retrieved from.
When you release the reset key the pic runs a key test sequence and should find the number key youre still pressing. If so it will copy that page from prog mem to ram then go back and enter the rom monitor.

Note on PIC reset use. The normal response to a pic reset is that a copy of eeprom will get loaded to ram. This has not changed. The scmp reset has not changed either. But what will seem odd will be when you load a game say to ram, then hit the pic reset key, the game will be replaced by whatever was in the eprom at the time.

So PIC reset on its own : eeprom -> ram.
PIC reset with extra key : ram->prog mem page.

Scmp reset only will keep the program in ram as it normally would. Scmp reset with extra key: prog mem page-> ram.

Note : Power up will run the pic reset by default. eeprom-> ram

Hope this helps.

George

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 28th Jul 2020 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Corrected as noted in now-deleted follow-up post.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 7:23 pm   #56
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Hi George,

I take it you are using unused areas of program flash to store SC/MP programs? Selected via reset key...?

Well, that's great! With some work we (i.e. you could add the SC/MP programs to the PIC source so that they're all there for instant loading in a newly programmed part.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:02 am   #57
George60
Triode

Yes thats exactly it Karen. I'm using all the unused flash memory from the end of the rom monitor at H'1200' to H'1FFF', 14 pages of 256 bytes.

I utilised a leftover routine in your original code that never got called but seemed to be used for testing purposes.
That became the load ram from flash subroutine. The save ram to flash came from the data sheets on the pic. I decided to try to use both, the hard bit was coming up with a key scan routine,.

The PIC reset has effectively become a save key and the scmp reset, a load key when it comes to moving ram data around inside the pic.

I have kind of started what you have eluded to as I have put some of the largest programs on there already. I'll try to find out how many pages would be needed to put all the programs from the book onto flash memory. At the moment there is 5 programs on it using up 4 pages of flash. The two in one page being the message program and duck shoot as its relocatable.

My original idea was that I would put the most popular programs onto flash with plenty of pages left for people to add their own by typing them into ram and save it to their own flash pages.

But a self contained PIC emulator is where I im guessing you are going with this. I just hope theirs room for all of them.

George
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:00 pm   #58
Phil__G
Octode

Hi I'm new here but loving the MK14 enthusiasm, here's my home made SC/MP, it runs Kitbug into an Elekterminal (Thomson CSF96364) and still works 45? years on! Its extended from a basic idea published way back in Practical Electronics, I added rom, ram and i/o and the ultimate plan was to add NIBL but I never managed to locate a rom dump. Karen if you're still in hospital I wish you well and I will be making a PIC14 soon, what a great project. I just finished a Geoff Graham Maximite and have been wasting many hours playing the original Star Trek

Cheers
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200907_214016.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	215149  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 12:16 pm   #59
philoupat83
Pentode

Hello
I still have a pcb from Karen’s PIC v2
contact me in PM if you are interested
Old 8th Sep 2020, 2:49 pm   #60
Phil__G
Octode

OOhh yes please, that would be brilliant! PM sent!
Closed Thread