UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2011, 8:16 pm   #1
2E1CIH Mike
Triode

Default Cr100

Hi, Could anyone advise me as to whether a CR100 would be a realistic candidate for restoration for one (such as me) with limited experience, but having lots of enthusiasm and patience? Are there any common difficulties, and are parts obtainable please?
I would be grateful for any advice. I was thinking of restoring an HRO, but have been offered a CR100.
Many thanks.....Mike
Old 24th Oct 2011, 8:47 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Cr100

Hello Mike

CR100s are always worth a go. The tubular, ‘bolt-on’ capacitors will usually all need to be changed.
From memory, 25 – 30 of them, all 0.1uF 450v. I used the polystyrene ‘block’ type because they were available, and could be bolted to the chassis using tags.
The resistors often will be high in value, and will need to be replaced.
The cord drive for the band-change drum has a habit of breaking.
To work on them, I found it easiest to remove the case and front cover, and bolt four up-rights to each corner of the chassis, so it could be turned upside down to work on the chassis underside. This can be seen on the CR100 adorning the floor of my workshop.
I like working on them, but you can have too many !

Good luck
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sgood bad ugly.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	57765  
Old 24th Oct 2011, 8:55 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Hello Pete, the temporary legs idea is good.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 8:56 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

It has the advantage of an onboard PSU but the dissadvantage that you will require 6 months training before you can lift it.

Pretty easy to work on. It really needs a wobbulator to align the IF. Usual paper capacitor problems and drifted resistors. I haven't heard of any common problems but others may know more.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 7:36 am   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Brittle rubber wiring insulation is a common problem.
Andy
Old 25th Oct 2011, 7:51 am   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

When working, the CR 100 perfoms well and is worth having as a receiver, even in today's conditions.

One thing is for sure, take the time to restore it and at the end, you will know far more about them, and receivers in general, than you do at the start!
Old 25th Oct 2011, 6:19 pm   #7
onewatt
Hexode

I too have a cr100 wip (well 4 actually). IF/RF coils are giving me grief on No1 and I won't move on to number 2 until 1 is finished, but I have managed to pick up some spares at a few of chas's auctions.

Why not bring it to the AR88 convention in Cottered in a few weeks time. I have a manual if you've not got one, although I think VMARS has one listed.

It's all relative to be honest, I like boatanchors, yes they all have there points, some good some bad but mostly we're talking technology thats 60+years old - in it's day it was all cutting edge and all had it's part to play in shaping the way we communicate today.

It will be a good start and there's plenty of help on hear to guide you.

Go for it!

Onewatt

Nothings too big or too heavy, otherwise it wouldn't be where it is!
Old 25th Oct 2011, 7:07 pm   #8
2E1CIH Mike
Triode

Many thanks to all. I am very grateful for your comments.
I like the idea of taking my time and using the experience to learn.....good one!
Kind regards......Mike
Old 26th Oct 2011, 2:45 pm   #9
M0ALK Richard
Tetrode

I have a CR100 in which the mains transformer went open circuit. Someone told me that this was a fairly common problem with them. However if anyone has a collection of CR100s where the transformers are OK but everything else is useless I am on the lookout for one.
Old 26th Oct 2011, 4:00 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Hi Richard,might be worth an advert under parts wanted.

David GM8JET
Old 26th Oct 2011, 4:59 pm   #11
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Or you could have a word with Ed Dinning , he may be able to rewind you your transformer.

Mike
Closed Thread