UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2006, 9:58 am   #1
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts R606MB (and common Roberts faults).

I have a Roberts R606MB that won't switch on, the switch has a nice positive feel to it, just no noise at all. What could be the problem? and how do you get it apart so that I can test it?

As you can see, I'm new to this and would like to get the radio working again as.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:36 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and general tidying.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 10:39 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: roberts r606-mb

Hi Mike,

Your question is very unclear. Does "no noise at all" mean the on/off switch doesn't click ? or does it mean the switch is operating normally but there's nothing at all at the loudspeaker ?

If the switch is indeed operating normally, there may be a problem with the mains-battery changeover switch. Have you tried it on both forms of supply ? There may also be a problem with a shorted earphone socket - a common problem with Roberts radios of that period.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 11:18 am   #3
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Yes the knob clicks, but no sound from the speaker.

I only have the availablity to test with batteries, as I don't have a lead that fits the mains socket.

Moderator note; This radio, plus many others produced over the last 25 or so years use a standard Fo8 ( Figure of eight ) mains lead. These can be obtained from electrical suppliers, or are very common at boot sales. If acquiring from the latter source, check for integrity and for correct fuse ( usually < 3amp ) in the 13amp plug before use.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:43 pm. Reason: General tidying and note added.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 12:22 pm   #4
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,
If you have batteries that are OK then a first and very simple check is to see if the mains/battery switch in the mains socket is sticking. You will see this as a plastic ramp at the lower side of the mains input socket. I have just tried it on mine and it can be pressed down with gentle pressure of a screwdriver. It should return on release. Pressing it down cuts off the radio completely.

I hope you solve the problem because the set is quite a good performer.

Regards
Old 26th Jul 2006, 1:06 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Mike,

Regarding how to get the set apart, the little secret of the R606-MB is a sliding catch just to the left of the battery compartment when the set's upside-down with the 'speaker facing you. Pull the catch toward you, the battery holder's released and once you've lifted it away, removing the two push-fit wire connectors if you like, you can probably see how to do the rest. The main chassis is held in place by long strips at each end of the cabinet secured by screws near the base.

Paul
Old 26th Jul 2006, 1:47 pm   #6
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Right, thanks for that, I'm now inside. I hope I've done this right.

I took the positive wire from the isolator switch to the main board (spade fitting) and took this direct to the positive spade connector on the battery terminal; hopefully this bi-passes the switch?

Still nothing, any ideas?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:45 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 2:28 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

I've successfully restored three of these R606-MB radios. If you have an earphone, plug it in and see if its working through that ... if it works then its the earphone socket thats at fault.... also make sure that both leads are attached to the loudspeaker cos they're only push on clips !

The on/off switches are troublesome on these sets, and I have successfully repaired one on a R606-MB. If the above doesnt sort it come back to us and I'll explain how to overhaul it.

Suggest you get some switch cleaner if you havent any - Servisol Super 10 probably best, from Maplins etc. You'll need it !

Howard
Old 26th Jul 2006, 3:03 pm   #8
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Right ,tried earphones, et voila. So next how do I fix this problem?

Thanks guys, with each post my smiles and fond memories get closer.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:46 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 5:15 pm   #9
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Mike, The first thing is to check the contacts on the earphone socket that cut out the speaker. These can get dirty, inserting the Phone plug a few times might help, or as Darren said the socket could also short the speaker.
Close examination should show something.
My experience has usually been dirty contact and switch cleaner works wonders.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 5:21 pm   #10
paulsherwin

If you don't have any switch cleaner you could try applying a *small amount* of WD40 to the earphone socket contacts with a cotton bud. Don't spray it around, and wipe away any excess. WD40 isn't normally recommended as a contact cleaner for radio work but it's better than nothing.

Good luck, Paul
Old 26th Jul 2006, 5:34 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

As John suggested, push the earphone jack plug in and out a few times. If that doesn't work, a quick squirt of switch cleaner might sort it (I said you'd need some !) If that doesnt work, try bypassing the earphone switch altogether, ie: attach wires from the earphone socket input connections to the speaker. If youre not sure where to connect to the socket, let us know. If that doesnt work, then you may have a dead loudspeaker, unlikely though.

If it works then you could leave it at that and not bother with an earphone, otherwise youll need to get another earphone socket and solder it on ... a bit fiddly .... you might find someone here who has a spare second hand one or you might be able to get a brand new one from Roberts ... P&P is a bit steep though. And if you have some switch cleaner, squirt a little in the volume and tone potentiometers, and in the inside ends of the push button switches.

spares@robertsts.com
020 8560 6644

Good Luck.

Howard
Old 27th Jul 2006, 10:46 pm   #12
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Went to Maplins today and bought some switch cleaner, tried to clean to no avail, so will try and bridge the wires from the earphone socket to the loadspeaker to see if this works.

I don't really want to do it this way, so can the earphone socket be unsoldered and reconditioned by me?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:48 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 27th Jul 2006, 10:55 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would definitely bridge the socket... just one solitary wire required, and could easily be removed if ever a "new" earphone socket came to light.

Nick.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 9:09 am   #14
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

Which wires do I bridge? yellow, blue or orange and which one to bridge it to, green or red?

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:49 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 9:27 am   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevw
which wire do i bridge? yellow ,blue or orange and which one to bridge it to green or red? cheers mike.
Mike, I haven't got one of these in front of me, so it's difficult to say.

But the diagram shows that there are THREE connections to the earphone socket:
  1. One to the chassis
  2. One from the amplifier (specifically, the junction of R28, R29, R30 and C31)
  3. One to the speaker
So, find out which one's connected to chassis (i.e. to the batteries' negative terminal and the "bodywork" of the radio), and link the other two.

Nick.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 9:29 am   #16
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Mike, I've just had a look inside one of my R606MBs and the switch contacts are the yellow and orange wires. If you bridge these 2 it should work OK. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 11:03 am   #17
mikevw
Retired Dormant Member

She's alive, thanks for all your help

How do I remove the faulty switch? and is it possible to recondition mine?

Thanks again, Mike.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jul 2007 at 7:51 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and general tidying.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 11:48 am   #18
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

Well done !

I don't think it's possible to recondition the earphone socket on those, so suggest you get one from Roberts as above or put a request in the parts wanted column here for a second hand one. I think (but I'm not certain) that the socket pulls out but it's not an easy job to get at it and you'll need to solder the connections to the new one.

Howard
Old 28th Jul 2006, 12:07 pm   #19
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The set I looked at had the socket fixed to the board by a single chrome nut, If they are all like that it should be dead easy to remove to try cleaning and re-tensioning the contacts.

Regards, Mick.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 12:17 pm   #20
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,
I am glad that you have it working and can now enjoy a quality radio.
From memory the socket is fixed with a single nut, this can be removed without too much trouble and it is then held on short leads in a sleeve ( 3 cm )? . With it released you might be able to see how switch cleaner could best be used, probably with the phone plug in place. More likely you will find you have to go down Howard's route and replace it.

Personally I don't use headphones very often so would leave it as it is with the link.

Regards
Closed Thread