UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:05 pm   #21
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Producing a vinyl record from a recorded tape.

There is an interesting film on the DVD issued with the 2016 Winter edition of the BVWS Bulletin magazine called "Handle With Care". It illustrates the process of producing an LP on Decca's "London" label from studio recording to the finished article and is about 27 minutes long.

I found a section about the cutting machine particularly interesting. The machine has "Telefunken" stamped on the business end of the cutter but I don't know if that means the cutting machine is a Telefunken product or just the head.

Decca claim this machine has an exclusive "Auto Groove Spacing" function that keeps the groove spacing small in quiet passages and wider in loud ones. This gives a maximum density of recording without distortion (groove cross-talk?) on loud passages.

If you know a BVWS member perhaps you can borrow a copy of the DVD?

Last edited by ukcol; 21st Mar 2018 at 12:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 21st Mar 2018, 1:14 pm   #22
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Colin.
I’m not a member, but I will keep searching on utube, which as I’m sure you know, is a vast educational platform, and I find it fascinating to be able to find so much on there.
I do wonder if RCA Victor, which is now owned by Sony, still store the original Master recordings of some of the great artists of yesteryear, and if so, in what format.
Cheers
John
Old 21st Mar 2018, 5:32 pm   #23

Quote:
certainly sounded no worse than the original release in the 1980's
Don't rely on the ear for quantitative (even a 'this is better') analysis, 'tis a fickle thing.

Closed Thread