UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2018, 2:28 pm   #1
VintageTest
Triode

Default Tektronix TDS744 to TDS784 upgrade

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a Tek TDS744 off of eBay and wondered if any of you knew if it is possible to upgrade it to a TDS784 like it’s ‘A’ suffix stablemates? As ther never was a non-A TDS784, I’m assuming that there might be some radical differences between the A and non-A versions.

Cheers,
Old 19th May 2018, 8:07 am   #2
RogerEvans
Hexode

Default Re: Tektronix TDS744 to TDS784 upgrade

You might try the tekscopes group at groups.io/g/tekscopes. I had a quick look in their archive and didn't find anything immediately relevant.

As you suggest the big problem is that 'A' and 'non-A' versions can differ by anything from a cosmetic change to a complete redesign. If there was a model concurrent with the 744 and of higher spec then you might experiment with the links that tell the processor the model number on boot up. You might magically find more memory but bandwidth improvements usually also need some component changes or removal.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on. I bought a TDS684A recently as non-working, I have one good channel and trigger working on all four. The major issue on these is leaking electrolytics so it is a case of getting the main board out and seeing how much damage there is.

Regards,

Roger
Closed Thread