UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 4:29 pm   #1
fcandg1960
Retired Dormant Member

Default Upgrade wanted for Acos GP 93

I have bought a 1968 radiogram with a Garrard 2025TC turntable, and I am looking to replace the Acos GP93. Any recommendations please?
Old 11th Apr 2018, 7:30 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Upgrade wanted for Acos GP 93

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Is the Acos faulty? If not, I'd leave well alone. The arm on the 2025TC, having a ridiculously thin headshell, is very difficult to fix a different cartridge to. The Acos GP93 cartridge has a mounting clip that was specially designed for this arm, and the only other cartridge with a similar clip was the Sonotone 9TA, which is obsolete, and even if you managed to find one, would be unlikely to have that special clip.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 7:32 am   #3
lazythread
Pentode

One of the Sonotone / Garrard 25xx / 35xx series cartridges will fit this turntable if you have the slim mounting bracket. The Stylus Lady often has the cartridges and clips in stock.https://www.thestyluslady.co.uk/narr...s41b-622-p.asp
Old 12th Apr 2018, 11:24 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Is the Acos faulty? If not, I'd leave well alone. The arm on the 2025TC, having a ridiculously thin headshell, is very difficult to fix a different cartridge to.
I completely agree with this advice. It is highly unlikely that you would hear any sonic difference by fitting anther cartridge. But it is well worth checking the stylus under 12X or so glass and, if necessary, replacing it.
Old 18th May 2018, 4:50 pm   #5
fcandg1960
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Is the Acos faulty? If not, I'd leave well alone.
Sorry I haven't replied to your post. The cartridge has a faulty rubber piece that the stylus head rests on. It has lost all rigidity, it plays for a while and then slowly drops down again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	163115  
Old 18th May 2018, 8:35 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This being the case, I would go for a BSR SC11M whilst stocks are available.
I would not call it a real "upgrade," but it's certainly a replacement.
Do make a diagram of when the 4 connectors go ie. RH+, RH-,LH+, LH-.
But before resort to this, what do you really mean by "drops down"?
Old 20th May 2018, 2:51 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

I know what the OP is saying. I have had many GP93 carts lose solidity in the rubber mountings. The cart body thus ends up dragging on the disc. Only real solution is a new cart.

To the OP: Don't remove the bracket for the Acos, with some modification and glue the SC11/12 may be made to fit it.

I have had good results with the generic Chinese ceramic carts available for a pound or two on ebay. The sound quality is usually better than 40 year old ceramic carts, even those that are NOS.
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:26 pm   #8
fcandg1960
Retired Dormant Member

cheers Ben.

Edward, The saddle that holds the head of the stylus droops, for want of a better, word thus causing the cartridge to touch the record.
Old 24th May 2018, 8:57 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you are convinced that there is a "structural" problem with the cartridge, then you may have to replace it with a currently available equivalent as suggested earlier. If the saddle has perished/hardened, then it may have lost its grip within the cartridge assembly. It's a fault I've never comes across in over 50 years.