UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2022, 12:11 pm   #1
Mflood85
Diode

Default Desoutter Drill

G’day All,
My brother and I have gotten our hands on a drill that my grandfather owned, possibly acquired around the 1930’s. I’m located in Australia if that makes any difference.

I’m trying to find more information about it and it’s potential value when it’s fully restored.

At the moment I only have a photo of the plate on it, waiting for my brother to send more. Very limited other information, but I do know that he worked on aircraft during the Second World War.

Would anyone be able to tell me anything about it based upon the plate in the photo?

Thanks

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D0BCED3-EA98-4C62-885C-660D744C3C04.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	250152  
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 1:17 pm   #2
Mflood85
Diode

Default Re: Desoutter Drill

Another photo of the actual drill. The stand is not properly matched to the drill, it’s just a Black & Decker made in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51C8597E-ABED-4D0F-B3D1-76F6F45797D0.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	250157  
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 1:22 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hi Michael

Your drill is for 'normal' ac mains. It probably has a rubber-covered cable which is probably perished, and which will need replacing (the body MUST be earthed, so you'll need 3-core cable). Most people here run metal-bodied drills though a plug-in earth leakage breaker, so you don't end up holding something which just became live. You may find that the carbon brushes have had it (I have had a couple where they are missing altogether) and you may have to adapt some new ones to fit - carbon is soft and can be filed to shape. All this is a labour of love, since after all that the drill might be worth 30 quid on a good day - if you search UK ebay sold listings you'll find numerous similar 'Wolf' brand drills to compare.
Hope that helps
Mark

(edit - it mentions an oil-filled gearbox, meaning this is a low-speed drill. This is useful for larger holes in steel - something modern drills (plug-in or battery) can be rather poor at, since they often don't have much torque at low speed.)
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 1:26 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Desoutter are still on the go, but overall, they are better known for their compressed-air driven tools.

David
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 2:33 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

I didn't see your second pic - looks like someone may have broken off a rear 'D' handle to get it to fit the stand. If that's the case, leaving it attached to the stand may be the most useful thing you can do with it!
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 3:11 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

Same family as the Desoutter aircraft people, but different company.

https://www.***********/photos/368442...mEJbXs-2mENrYF
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 4:38 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

From memory, DeSoutter stopped making electric drills in the mid-1970's and concentrated on their air-powered ones. I remember a display ad in a newspaper advising customers that manufacture of their electric "little horses" would shortly cease, and if you wanted to buy one, there wasn't much time left.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Jan 2022 at 4:38 pm. Reason: typos
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 6:36 pm   #8
Trigon.
Hexode

This appears to be the same model:-

Name:	13-1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	250212

It sold for $5 in NZ last year.

https://live.lipscombeauctionhouse.c...electric-drill

Cheers
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 12:53 pm   #9
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yeah, regrettably the value fully restored would be very close to the 'barn find' value...and both are these are pretty low. In the UK a few people have made old metal bodied drills into steampunk lamps, and they are quite the most top-heavy ridiculous looking things.

Were it to be restored i second Mark's comment about an earth leakage circuit breaker, preferably one that is 'en bloc' with the mains plug so that the drill can't be used without it.

---If you get even a trace of that volcanic ash on your car windscreen in Queensland, don't for christ's sake operate the wipers. Hose it all off then clean the wiper blades with a wet rag. Even a trace can damage the glass.--

Dave
Old 29th Jan 2022, 8:42 am   #10
Mflood85
Diode

Thanks for all the comments. Thankfully its value as a family history piece is worth something, because I’m pretty disappointed with its market value if I were to ever sell it ��. I would have thought an 80 year old working drill might be worth a bit more.

And don’t worry Dave, the closest that volcanic ash came to us was 42,000ft up.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 7:38 pm   #11
avocollector
Heptode

Those desoutter drills used to be very popular in a sheet metal factory I worked in (student job) in the mid 70's. They merrily spend hours repairing them and reckoned they were really good. I found them difficult to hold thanks to the shape but OK for drilling.
Closed Thread