UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2022, 6:03 am   #1
dragonser
Heptode

Default Venner TSA6634a/2 Cap question

Hi,
I am looking at an old Venner Counter. the mains filter cap ( which is a metal can with 3 leads ) seems to have failed. As a Temporary measure I have cut it out.
Anyone know if I should try to get an all in one replacement or use separate caps ?
On Another question the electrolytic caps on what I assume to get the input board might need to be replaced due to old age. they are 80 uf 6.4 volt.
Can I use 100uf caps to replace them ? there are two 32uf caps as well. Should I use 22uf or 47 uf to replace them ?

Many thanks, again.
Old 25th May 2022, 6:19 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Venner TSA6634a/2 Cap question

Yes you can !!.
In both cases.
100uF is a "direct " replacement for 80 uF.
Electrolytics are "generally " rated as minus 20 % and plus 50 %.
33 uF can be 22uF or 47uF. Considering the cost difference of about 3 pennies, I would go,
100 uF, and 47 uF. Make sure the working voltage ratings are HIGHER than the origionals.
I havent seen 6.4 volts caps since I was a kid ( 60 years ).

Joe
Old 25th May 2022, 7:30 pm   #3
factory
Octode

I've had the same filter fail in my Venner counter a few years ago, I used a plastic can delta filter from LCR capacitors, the local Maplin had them, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone selling them now.

https://www.lcrcapacitors.co.uk/wp-c...ta-filters.pdf

David
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 11:02 am   #4
dragonser
Heptode

Hi, thank you both for the info.
I have checked the TSA6674 counter I have as well. It uses the same input board as the TSA6634/a .
so I will change the capacitors on the input board in both units.
the Power supply unit is different in both units.