UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2022, 7:38 pm   #1
Classicguy3
Triode

Default Wurlitzer stereo console manual schematics

Hello all, I was wandering if anyone would maybe have a manual for this Wurlitzer stereo console. It is a Wurlitzer MC-1, MS-1, Series 100 Credenza manual. I found a place online that has it for free but it is unreadable. I can not find a place that even has it for sale. My wife can remember this unit being in there house as far back as she can remember. I am wanting to get it 100% working for her. I am a novice so a readable schematic would really help. I had some help and got the left channel that was not working back to life. Now the next thing is the tuner does not work at all on AM or FM. I can redo the turntable on my own. Just refurbished one from a Sears unit my parents had from back in the 70's. If not exactly they are very close to the same. If you have one or know someone who does please let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220524-125810_Gallery.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	257738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220524-125839_Gallery.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	257739  
Old 24th May 2022, 8:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Wurlitzer stereo console manual schematics

We didn't see many of these American consoles in Britain, so you may find this forum isn't much help.
Old 24th May 2022, 8:24 pm   #3
Classicguy3
Triode

Yeah I kinda wandered that. Then I thought you never know. So I thought I would give it a try and see. Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 9:30 pm   #4
Cruisin Marine
Octode

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wurlit...za_de_311.html

Dunno if this may help.
Old 24th May 2022, 10:30 pm   #5
Classicguy3
Triode

Cruisin Marine, yeah that's the copy I found online so far. It is unreadable. I am hoping to find a readable copy somewhere. Somebody out there somewhere has to have a good copy. Maybe? Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 8:52 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The turntable is a standard British made BSR C Series autochanger. Possibly a C141. If you need further reference for this, Service Data can be downloaded from this site.
Old 25th May 2022, 6:30 pm   #7
Classicguy3
Triode

Edward, Thanks if I need service data for the turntable I will definitely do that. I just worked on one just like it of my parents a few months ago. If anyone has an idea about this I could use some help. I did figure out if I have it real quit in the room and I put it on FM or FMX I can get it to tune in some stations. With volume all the way up you can barely hear them. About like it would sound if you had mute turned on a unit. This unit does not have a mute switch. I still get good sound out of my phone through the tape input. So does this mean the tuner is actually working and the sound is not making it to the amp correctly maybe? Would it be more of an issue of the tuner not bringing in the signal correctly? Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 10:17 pm   #8
Cruisin Marine
Octode

I did figure out if I have it real quit in the room and I put it on FM or FMX I can get it to tune in some stations. With volume all the way up you can barely hear them. About like it would sound if you had mute turned on a unit. This unit does not have a mute switch. I still get good sound out of my phone through the tape input. So does this mean the tuner is actually working and the sound is not making it to the amp correctly maybe? Would it be more of an issue of the tuner not bringing in the signal correctly? Thanks

Does it have FM only? if it has AM could you try that? Or play some vinyl of course.
I am assuming it has an antenna connected, if not and it is of a design where the FM noise level is low (like the old Russian Astrad/Vega) you may only hear faint noise.
My guess at a distance would be the switches may need cleaning with servisol or similar. There could be many other reasons though like the FM tuner audio is not routing due to a fault or wire come off. I am shooting in the dark at a distance, I hope you get the schematic or manual to help you.
Old 25th May 2022, 10:59 pm   #9
Classicguy3
Triode

I really dont seem to pick up anything on AM. Dont really have an antenna hooked up to AM. No static either. I can hook a phone to the tape input and it works and sounds good. I can hook my phone to the phono plugs with female to female couplers and it works and sounds good. I have used like 20 foot of speaker wire as an FM antenna as well as rabbit ears. Same results. I have cleaned all of the switches three times. There is no more static noise from the switches after the cleanings. When I do get a station to tune in on FM and FMX it is a very very faint sound. There is a pretty good hum from the speakers when on FM and FMX. No hum when on tape or phono. I wish I had a schematic also. I need to figure out how the sound gets from the Tuner to the amplifier. Thanks
Old 15th Jun 2022, 6:43 pm   #10
Classicguy3
Triode

I got the Tuner working 100%. Just wanted to report back. It was a bad transistor. I first replaced all of the caps in the tuner sections. Then I found a bad transistor with some help. The original transistor was a XB8 the replacement was a NTE160. Just incase that helps someone else out later. I replaced that transistor and the tuner came back to life. Now I am working on the Phono. I get low volume when playing a record. I can mess with the arm like resetting the needle and get the volume to come up to where it should be. I am thinking maybe a bad Stylus. I think I will start a new thread with this issue. Thanks
Old 15th Jun 2022, 7:20 pm   #11
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Well done!
Glad you found an equivalent to that transistor too.
Closed Thread