UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2022, 1:59 pm   #41
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Secondhand HiFi - A new trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfraser View Post
That's disheartening news re. Technics.
Don't be too disheartened. The new Technics SP-10R is the best measuring turntable that Hi-Fi News magazine has ever tested*, so they do still get some bits right!

*Well, until the next issue, anyway...
Wow, what a nice unit, and at a fraction of the price of an SME deck. Not that I can afford either. I'll stick to my 401/3009/Ortofon Quintet Black MC.
Old 27th May 2022, 3:22 pm   #42
knobtwiddler
Octode

Quote:
Quote:
Don't be too disheartened. The new Technics SP-10R is the best measuring turntable that Hi-Fi News magazine has ever tested*, so they do still get some bits right!

Intriguing. Are you able to give us non-HFN subscribers a couple of headline specs for W+F and rumble? And what methodology did they use? I have seen that some magazines use records for speed measurements, which is a preposterous way to gauge speed accuracy due to hole centres varying from disc to disc.
Old 27th May 2022, 3:34 pm   #43
ajgriff
Nonode

I think the retail price of a new Technics SP-10R demonstrates why quality second hand turntables are such good value.

Alan
Old 27th May 2022, 6:09 pm   #44
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
For those interested in this stuff here's a few of my vintage receivers collection, all restored.
They look stunning!
Are they all fed into your system by a 'Comparator'? together with dozens of speakers/turntables etc, as was done in the 1970's.

I purchased my LNB speakers after being asked 'Would sir like to step into the listening room & compare speakers, amplifiers etc?'

David.
Old 27th May 2022, 7:51 pm   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
For those interested in this stuff here's a few of my vintage receivers collection, all restored.
They look stunning!
Are they all fed into your system by a 'Comparator'? together with dozens of speakers/turntables etc, as was done in the 1970's.

I purchased my LNB speakers after being asked 'Would sir like to step into the listening room & compare speakers, amplifiers etc?'

David.
Thanks. No, they sit there as collector's eye candy but they do get put into service on a shift around basis.
Old 30th May 2022, 12:57 pm   #46
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Intriguing. Are you able to give us non-HFN subscribers a couple of headline specs for W+F and rumble? And what methodology did they use? I have seen that some magazines use records for speed measurements, which is a preposterous way to gauge speed accuracy due to hole centres varying from disc to disc.
The lab report is available on the Hi-Fi News website here:

https://www.hifinews.com/content/tec...arm-lab-report
Closed Thread