UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2018, 9:16 am   #281
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Maplin stores

Tandy were the first ones I noticed getting insistent on collecting personal information.

I always gave them 1601 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, District of Columbia. It seemed appropriate. My fallback in case they insisted on a UK address was a tribute to British radio comedy: Mrs Hilda Gronk, 48 Ironside Terrace, Scunthorpe.

Tandy and the later Maplins were parallel in so many ways, except Tandy was a franchise operation.

David
Old 14th Mar 2018, 9:23 am   #282
MrBungle
Dekatron

A good point. Data and the inability for humans to discard the bad bits of it might actually be the cause of this mess to start with. My one spell in retail was when I worked for a new Homebase store in the 1990s for a few weeks as a student. This wa opened on the basis that information collected from other stores said people were travelling too far and wouldn’t spend as much money. On the fanfare opening day, total sales were £230. Ultimately after having an Argos integrated into it recently it closed. It was always empty. I wonder how long that mess was propped up by other stores.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 10:19 am   #283
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I just declined to give my personal information, and they still sold me the products. Though like many I haven't bought much from them in years.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Mar 2018, 1:26 pm   #284
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

We have a national chain that keeps wanting all that sort of info, for "warranty purposes".

Yeah, right.

I just ask them if they want my money or not, they aren't getting anything else.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 1:51 pm   #285
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I wonder if sometimes the men in suits at the boardroom table lose sight completely of what they are there for.
I have seen many cases of this aberrant behaviour, usually by the accountants in "re-organisations".
Several good companies have gone to the wall in the last 10 years in a similar fashion, (BHS?) some have survived the trauma, just (Tesco?)
Old 14th Mar 2018, 2:57 pm   #286
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

About 30 years ago the business schools started propagating a false meme, that 'business' was an academic field and a skill in its own right. To succeed you just needed a highly-paid MBA at the helm; domain knowledge could be hired in and treated like dirt. The results of this policy are visible all around us.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 3:00 pm   #287
mole42uk
Nonode

Hear, hear.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 14th Mar 2018, 3:38 pm   #288
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I wonder if sometimes the men in suits at the boardroom table lose sight completely of what they are there for.
"To make money" is surely the only answer. When you stop making money you either sell-on the remains to someone more-gullible, or you close the business down. As has happened with Maplin, ToysRUs, Countrywide farmers etc in recent months.

Businesses going-bust proves that the market-economy is working. Evolution demands extinction; let's not grieve over the fate of the dinosaurs.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 4:05 pm   #289

Quote:
do you have to spend time giving your Email address,postcode etc etc
I just say no, had a few arguments in the past but when they say "that will be £12" as far as the law is concerned the deal is done, PC World are the worst "we need your details for the Canon guarantee", wrong, my contract is with you not Canon (other manufactures are available).

Old 14th Mar 2018, 4:49 pm   #290
mark2collection
Hexode

Just been on the Maplin website ... a pop-up asked if I'd like to 'share my location' (Erm, I already do, wife, kids, cats, old radios & classic cars is more than enough!)

Then another 'nag', would I like to complete a feedback survey? Bit late, isn't it?

The store in Reading (no idea if it has signs up etc, it's too far away to have a nosy), I bought a set of phono sockets, some fuse holders & a power switch ... less than £15, about 4 years ago, they still requested my contact details ...

Another retailer on the same park who can supply & fit wiper blades and bulbs ... BULBS? As in, Daffodils, Tulips & the like? I think they mean, lamps ... they always ask for contact details ... I always refuse ...

They once asked if they could fit said items to my car, it was only when the chap 'donned' the hi-viz I confessed to the car being 15 miles away & wasn't actually outside ...

As for businesses failing, trouble is, at certain levels, the people are only working on the very things they're being measured on, and usually, it's not the business! (Cannot remember the term for it now ... something to do with metrics). More often than not, they don't understand the business model & loose sight of who the customer is.

Mark
Old 14th Mar 2018, 5:43 pm   #291
mark2collection
Hexode

KPI's, that's what I was thinking of, Key Performance Indicators ...

The sort of people who are rather pleased at holding 'Kaizen' events, drawing business maps to discuss a strategic plan going forward, EBITDA etc, lean, 6 sigma, then discuss lower level objectives, Gemba (where work is done or, the shop floor) to identify 'wastes' ... though not actually speaking (you'll note) to the workers.

This, is what 'they're' measured on ... who ever 'they' are

I wonder how many Kaizen events were held at Maplin HQ?

Mark
Old 14th Mar 2018, 6:50 pm   #292
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ack. Been through six sigma before. Could be right. Fad management is dangerous.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 9:51 pm   #293
David G4EBT
Dekatron

No surprises here then:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...ing_down_sale/
Old 14th Mar 2018, 10:36 pm   #294
IanBland
Hexode

My current SLA is whenever I get round to it.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 1:47 am   #295
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
LOL - I was in a store a few months ago, about 4 of the staff were not interested in the customers and were engaged in a
dramatic conversation on radios(one was obviously some distance away) about a shoplifter...now considering they follow you around everywhere I considered the absurdity of the situation and thought at the time 'you cannot run a business like this it's mad'
Old 15th Mar 2018, 10:33 am   #296
stuarth
Heptode

I heard a company "mission statement", I believe from Sir William Lyons of Jaguar fame but it applies to any company, that "The fundamental aim is to make money by satisfying customers"

You need both parts.

Stuart
Old 15th Mar 2018, 10:51 am   #297
rontech
Heptode

I have recently purchased items from the local Maplins store and found their
staff extremely helpful.

The things I want are often not in stock but if you have the stock numbers to hand, the assistant will load the numbers into the till and they will be delivered to your home address with a few days without extra charge.

My nearest stores are in Liverpool which is quite convenient.

Maplin have three stores in Liverpool; one in the city centre, the other two in the suburbs. This seems an expensive overhead to me and if replicated in other cities it must contribute to Maplin's financial woes.

Last edited by rontech; 15th Mar 2018 at 10:52 am. Reason: typo
Old 15th Mar 2018, 12:34 pm   #298
Sinewave
Octode

How much did the MT2017 multimeter used to sell for say 6 months ago as I've been thinking about buying one for maybey the past 6 months or so and since they are closing, I thought now is the time to buy one, so bought two.

Web order only so won't know how much I like them until I get them.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 2:21 pm   #299
turretslug
Dekatron

It seems that, up until around 7th March, it was £10 plus post, now down to £7 (I refuse to be hoodwinked by the £x-99 game....). I bought one a couple of years ago, it's not at all bad.

There may be a rush for the remaining ones at that price, it would be difficult to find a 50uA movement alone for that!
Old 15th Mar 2018, 10:27 pm   #300
factory
Octode

They are definitely closing all the stores, there was a closing down sale advert in the newspaper today, still only "up to 50% off" though.

David
Closed Thread