UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 11:45 pm   #1
Rogermsw
Diode

Default Replacement perspex for Ever Ready model C/E

I have acquired a nice Ever Ready Model C/E, one problem the perspex outer is damaged.

Does anyone know where or who may have a replacement.

OR

Is there a way of repairing said perspex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model CE 2020-05-26 23-43-12.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	206881  
Old 27th May 2020, 7:17 am   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Replacement perspex for Ever Ready model C/E

info here on gluing and repairing
https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk...crylic-cement/

the only other way is to make a mould and form a replacement
Old 27th May 2020, 8:27 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

I have used Loctite Glass bond and got a pretty well invisible joint, but I wouldn't like to trust it structurally on a handle.
When I used a proprietary acrylic glue I ended up with very fine bubbles which formed in the joint during the curing.
Maybe a fast cure in a slightly warm oven would have helped stop the bubbles forming.

Mike
Old 27th May 2020, 3:00 pm   #4
Rogermsw
Diode

Many thanks gentlemen. Glue it is
Old 27th May 2020, 3:52 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

Always keep an eye open these do turn up badly wormed with the paint badly peeled, the Perspex undamaged.

Glue is a great solution in the mean time.

Nice set probably built by Plessey the Cossor 469 has virtually identical chassis but the most hideous case ever used by a valve portable radio.

The Ever Ready model C series are great looking sets

Cheers

Mike T
Old 29th May 2020, 11:05 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I have used Loctite Glass bond and got a pretty well invisible joint, but I wouldn't like to trust it structurally on a handle.
When I used a proprietary acrylic glue I ended up with very fine bubbles which formed in the joint during the curing.
Maybe a fast cure in a slightly warm oven would have helped stop the bubbles forming.

Mike
Interesting you should mention Loctite Glass Bond Mike, it's a product I have used over the decades with great success.

Does it still exist though? I've been looking for it for a while.

Just to be clear, this is an empty tube of the product I mean.

Name:	glass bond.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	207183 Click image for larger version

Name:	glass bond2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	207184

Searches for Loctite Glass Bond seem only to find a product called "Loctite Super Glue Glass", which can't be the same product, for one thing GB needs UV light to cure and SGG does not.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:40 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:

Mike
Interesting you should mention Loctite Glass Bond Mike, it's a product I have used over the decades with great success.

Does it still exist though? I've been looking for it for a while.

Just to be clear, this is an empty tube of the product I mean.
Attachment 207183 Attachment 207184

Searches for Loctite Glass Bond seem only to find a product called "Loctite Super Glue Glass", which can't be the same product, for one thing GB needs UV light to cure and SGG does not.
That's not actually correct - '"Loctite Super Glue Glass" is indeed triggered by UV light in normal daylight and the formula for normal cyanoacrylate ('CA') glue AKA 'superglue' differs from that used for glass bonding CA glues - it's n-Butyl cyanoacrylate.

Here's a clip:

Manufacturer's Description - Loctite - Glass Bond

Designed specifically for glass to glass or glass to metal applications.
Adhesive is triggered by UV rays in normal daylight.
Dishwasher safe………….………Use on items going in dishwasher.
Clear bond line, water and detergent resistant.

Size. 3ml Tube.

Technical Datasheet: https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content...-2018-04-10pdf

'Normal' CA glue is Ethyl cyanoacrylate. Limitations from Loctite 'Professional' CA datasheet:

Quote:

Does not bond to Polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), silicone or foam rubber, polystyrene foams, glass, or pure bone china ▪ Not for assemblies which will hold hot liquids ▪ Bonded items should not be placed in oven, microwave or dishwasher.

Unquote.

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content...-2018-04-06pdf

CA glues aren't just the same stuff by different brands - cyanoacrylate formulae include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate (MCA), ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate (ECA is commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue", n-butyl cyanoacrylate (n-BCA), octyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications).

Vitalbond is the UK's largest producer of cyanoacrylate, which comes in 6 grades of viscosity and setting times of 4, 10, 20 and 45 seconds:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitalbond...72.m2749.l2649

For my purposes I use 20 seconds, but sometimes want it to cure in a matter of seconds so I use activator on one surface and glue on the other, which cures the glue instantly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glue-Mons...p2047675.l2557

I use 20 mG in a couple of months or so and could buy it much cheaper if I bought 50mG bottles, but while superglue has a shelf life of about a year, once opened, it lasts about 3 months, so buying a larger bottle is false economy.

Incidentally, Henkel is the name behind Loctite and many other well-known brands, such as Pritt, Sellotape, UniBond; Schwarzkopf, Right Guard, Dylon Dyes and Jeyes, and not lease, since 2000, Multicore solder!

None of which is a great deal of help to the OP but I hope it's of interest. (I think the normal adhesive for Perspex is 'Tensol').
Old 31st May 2020, 10:00 pm   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:

Does not bond to Polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), silicone or foam rubber, polystyrene foams, glass, or pure bone china ▪ Not for assemblies which will hold hot liquids ▪ Bonded items should not be placed in oven, microwave or dishwasher.
Loctite Super Glue Glass
Eh does not bond glass, is that for real.

Mike
Old 31st May 2020, 11:02 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:

Loctite Super Glue Glass
Eh does not bond glass, is that for real.

Mike
No that isn’t ‘for real’.

You’ve misunderstood the quote above, which referred to ‘normal CA’ glue, which is composed of ethyl cyanoacrylate - in the case I quoted, Loctite ‘Professional’. The point I was trying to make, though seemingly not very well, is that Loctite glass glue is indeed triggered by UV light and isn’t standard CA glue, but a different composition of n-Butyl Cyanoacrylate.

Hopefully if you re-read my post that will become clear.

Sorry for any confusion.

(If I was glueing Perspex I wouldn’’t use CA glass glue or any CA glue - I’d use Tensol, which is a bonding solvent for Perspex).
Old 9th Jun 2020, 4:59 pm   #10
Cobaltblue

I am clearing some of my stores and found this Ever Ready model C perspex front it has a crack at the bottom (less visible than the top) it will need re painting however its FOC post at cost if you want it.

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200609_162546.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	208112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200609_162504.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	208113   Click image for larger version