UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 7:56 pm   #1
jrh_james
Diode

Default Weller TCP soldering iron

Hi I have a Weller TCP soldering iron that started playing up and overheating and after having a read around I took apart the thermostat switch and cleaned the contacts and it seems to be behaving itself again.

I noticed that some TCP irons have got a capacitor across the switch, presumably to reduce arcing and stop the contacts welding shut. Would it be worth adding a capacitor to my iron to extend the life of the switch? What type of capacitor do I need?
Old 26th May 2020, 8:08 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Weller TCP soldering iron

In light of previous threads, please don't turn this into an A-Z of soldering irons
Old 26th May 2020, 8:29 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

As far as I know the capacitor is to reduce interference when the thermostat operates. Thermostat contact welding seems to be a well known issues which is why spares are available.
Old 26th May 2020, 10:48 pm   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have two Weller TCP soldering irons.

On one the connecting lead internal insulation broke down (went like biscuit - the pictures are in another thread on here somewhere) and, long story, burnt out the transformer. Weller refused point blank to accept responsibility. So I bought a new lead, and in true Franken-iron style used an ex-BBC valve heater transformer with 4 x 6.3V windings wired in series. The entire blue body, much modified is screwed on top of the massively overrated transformer.

I then made the mistake of buying a new one around a year ago. That is incompatible with the older bits - so needs me to buy a range of bits that I typically use to suit. And that one has started to play up too! Goes cold - a good whack of the handle starts it working again. Internally it looks fine, but there must be a problem with the magnetically operated switch.

I take Bill's point about A-Z, but twice bitten with declining customer care and flaky quality from Weller, I will never buy another of theirs.

Craig
Old 27th May 2020, 12:24 am   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Mine has one, I thought they all did!
I assumed for arcing, but interference is more or less the same thing in a different guise.
Old 27th May 2020, 6:58 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Mine had a small RIFA X type, finding a replacement of the right size was tricky amongst my spares. An X type would be best I guess.

Andy.
Old 27th May 2020, 10:30 am   #7
m0cemdave
Octode

I have never thought of this before, but I wonder if a worn-out RIFA is the reason why the switch contacts eventually suffer from the effects of arcing and need cleaning up?
At only 24 volts I have never seen one go *bang* (yet...) but the capacitance might gradually fall with aging in the same way it does with mains voltage transients.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:39 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quite possible, that is how they work. Repeated transients are more or less guaranteed!
Old 27th May 2020, 12:52 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

I thought the early ones didnt have the capacitor and later ones did. I assumed that it was for EMC compliance in light of legislation.

I've never understood why a capacitor & resistor is not used.
For example if a capacitor across a switch reduces rfi or sparking when the contact opens, by way of reducing the rate of rise of voltage, (dv/dt) why is it ok to close the contact and allow a rapid discharge of the same capacitor?

Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:36 am   #10
Goldie99
Heptode

I'm also just 'refreshing' a TCP iron, with a cracked RIFA cap - anyone know where I can source a suitably sized replacement ?

The existing RIFA is marked "PME 261 KA", 400V-/220V-MP, 40/070/56, and it's a small ca. 10mm lead pitch size. I'm reading it as 47,000pF, 220VAC, but most of the equivalents I'm seeing online are 15 or 20mm lead pitch.

Alan
Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:49 am   #11
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I've never understood why a capacitor & resistor is not used.
For example if a capacitor across a switch reduces rfi or sparking when the contact opens, by way of reducing the rate of rise of voltage, (dv/dt) why is it ok to close the contact and allow a rapid discharge of the same capacitor?
It isn't - in my book. However, I suspect the rapid discharge causes less RFI than the high dv/dt on opening, so capacitor alone is used.

(Personally, I'd use capacitor in series with a few ohms of resistor, as you say).

Weller irons - I have a mains-driven Magnastat which occasionally fails to open, the iron glows a very dull red. And I use a couple of 24V TCP irons. No trouble except a fatigue-broken lead near the connector.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 1:48 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

The early TCPs without the capacitor showed no worse problems with sticky thermostats. I think they are entirely for EMC reduction.

David
Old 10th Jun 2020, 6:14 am   #13
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Found this one Alan at Farnell - https://uk.farnell.com/kemet/r463f24...ial/dp/2495809 checked datasheet - = 10mm lead spacing. Here's the page for all 47n X series caps - https://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...itance=47000pf

Andy.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 11:16 am   #14
Goldie99
Heptode

Cheers Andy - just what I needed, thanks
Old 14th Jun 2020, 9:47 pm   #15
Radio1950
Hexode

Weller TCP User Operation and Spares Leaflet, from about 1990.

I have two of these units which have worked perfectly for thirty years.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weller TCP IMG_20190808_0003.pdf (1.05 MB, 126 views)
Closed Thread