UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2019, 12:35 am   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default SC/MP Kit / Introkit info

There are a few people here who are interested in the SC/MP microprocessor - I've just been alerted to the availability of a cache of SC/MP and in particular 'SC/MP Kit' (as opposed to 'SC/MP Introkit') documents.

The 'SC/MP Kit' and 'SC/MP Introkit' were two SC/MP evaluation PCBs which were available from Nat Semi and in their most basic form consisted of the uP, some RAM, a PROM and a 7414 IC configured as a serial TTY interface through which the user could interact with the system using a terminal.

To either of these systems you could add the same additional set of components, along with a different PROM, to make them into a classic microprocessor trainer with a 20-key hex / command key keypad and a calculator style style 7-segment display.

The 'Introkit' + Display / Keypad kit then became the basis for the Science Of Cambridge MK14, which initially even used the same OS / Monitor.

This cache of documents on the website of 'CuriousMarc' - worth seeking out for all his interesting micro / computer stuff online - mainly concerns the 'SC/MP Kit' rather than the 'Introkit', although one of the documents (which details how to retrofit an SC/MP II to both systems) does have nice PCB layout drawings for both the 'SCMP Kit' and the 'SCMP Introkit'.

https://www.curiousmarc.com/computing/scmp

The document dealing with the Keypad / Display kit contains the circuit diagram for that portion of the circuit, and since this is the same whether added to the 'SC/MP Kit' or the 'Introkit', it is effectively three quarters of the circuit diagram for the 'Introkit' (when fitted with a display / keypad).

There are also a couple of documents of general SC/MP interest. I've stored local copies as well, in case they disappear from their current location.
Old 6th Sep 2019, 11:03 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: SC/MP Kit / Introkit info

I put together several development microprocessor kits between 1975 and 1978 including Intel 8080, Motorola 6800, Fairchild F8 and a processor you never hear about these days the RCA Cosmac CDP1802A. I don't think I ever dealt with an SCMP although I remember lots of articles about them. I had moved on to the Z80.

The only one I still have a complete example of though is the Motorolla. I did a Motorolla Semimar with the rest of the team attendees being given a development system I built and played with mine but one of my colleagues wasn't interested so I has his as well I still have it unmade after 43 years.

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_105831.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	189600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_105845.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	189601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_105907.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	189602  
Old 6th Sep 2019, 11:44 am   #3
donutty
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I put together several development microprocessor kits between 1975 and 1978 including Intel 8080, Motorola 6800, Fairchild F8 and a processor you never hear about these days the RCA Cosmac CDP1802A. I don't think I ever dealt with an SCMP although I remember lots of articles about them. I had moved on to the Z80.

The only one I still have a complete example of though is the Motorolla. I did a Motorolla Semimar with the rest of the team attendees being given a development system I built and played with mine but one of my colleagues wasn't interested so I has his as well I still have it unmade after 43 years.

Cheers

Mike T
That's nice! I bet the chip collector guys (I used to be one!) would bite your hand off for that. I wonder how the pins are holding up in the foam after all those years...
Old 6th Sep 2019, 11:50 am   #4
Cobaltblue

Haha yes probably pinless sat on a bed of rotting foam

Cheers

Mike T
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:09 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It looks as though those ICs all have gold plated pins, in which case they may be mercifully immune to 'death by foam'.
Old 7th Sep 2019, 11:23 am   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I can confirm, after buying a large lot of ICs on ebay, death by foam happens on gold plated pin ICs as well.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 12:12 am   #7
circuitryboy
Pentode

I hope the MK14 enthusiasts look carefully at the schematic (Fig 2.1) in that SC/MP Keyboard Kit manual.
8 digits, no decimal point, (and yes, it's '157s all the way down).
So SoC actually made some enhancements. (Don't mention the keypad.)

Now National Semiconductor made calculators. Some were branded "Novus".
Here's an example; look closely at the keys.
And here's the schematic for the calculator chip inside. (I've made it more obvious.)

Can you hear that Cosmic Background hissing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVUS 831.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	189666   Click image for larger version

Name:	MM5791Calculator.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	189667  
Old 8th Sep 2019, 11:56 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for that, I have cursed that wretched weird MK14 keypad matrix many times over the years, now at least we know its origins.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 9:17 am   #9
donutty
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
It looks as though those ICs all have gold plated pins, in which case they may be mercifully immune to 'death by foam'.
From experience I would say to the contrary.. the solder tinned ones seem to be more hardy to the ravages of foam. It may be something to do with the the gold plated ones seen side-brazed onto ceramic carriers being thinner than the more modern pins.

So if you ever get any 60s/70s/80s old-stock / used ICs in foam, take them out!!
Closed Thread