UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2018, 4:00 am   #1
oobovril
Triode

Default AVO Valve tester Valve data books

I notice that some valves have dropped out from the later editions of the AVO valve data books. I have an 3A5 valve that appears in the late 1950's valve data book but has disappeared by the time the much later 23rd Edition data book was issued. I assume though that the valve setup data, back from the late 1950's edition, can still be used today, or was there a problem testing some of these valves hence their removal from the later editions of the data books.
Old 11th Nov 2018, 11:46 am   #2
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: AVO Valve tester Valve data books

Hi oobovril,
Not only old valves from the early 1950's can be tested on AVO VCM's, but many of the early first ones from just after WW1.
Keep an eye out for early Bernards Valve Data Books &/or Illiffe VD Books. They sometimes are offered for sale on this site, eBay, Swapmeets, Junk Sales etc. They all show the pin connections, & working voltages & currents, and you don't need a specific thumbwheel code from an AVO Valve Data Manual - just select the appropriate electrode for each pin thumbwheel. As I've advised many times, with all valves, particularly early or valuable ones, always add a bit extra -ve grid volts then reduce to the book value whilst monitoring Ia.

Regards, David
Old 11th Nov 2018, 11:50 pm   #3
Stevie342000
Hexode

Hello

You will find nearly all the Bernards Manuals here including valve data books: https://www.americanradiohistory.com...rds_Babani.htm

Along with a lot of other UK magazines if you did not know already, you will shortly get lost in a black hole of information.
Old 12th Nov 2018, 9:44 pm   #4
oobovril
Triode

Hi Steve and Dave, thanks for your help here, much appreciated.
Closed Thread