UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:11 pm   #1
Dansrg91
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SRG91 No Sound....

Hi,

I am very much an amateur owner of an SRG 91.

When it was initially purchased we had no functionality in the radio channels, long, medium, VHF. The 'Gram' channel did work and so we were able to listen to records, which was pretty magical. There was a heavy static sound when adjusting bass, treble and volume. The static would die if the dials sat in certain positions, I say this as it may help with diagnosis.

Now, the Gramaphone channel no longer works at all, you can hear the needle on the record as it spins but the speakers are dead. All the valves appear to be alive and a dead looking capacitor has been replaced.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide any insight from my description of events? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As I said, I am an amateur in this realm. But I've opened the player up a few times and I'm willing to have a play about inside.

Thanks,
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:33 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Bush SRG91 No Sound....

Hi, there are plenty of folks here to offer advice to you to safely diagnose the fault (s). To help this process can you advise what you have got in terms of tools and test equipment? The absolute bare minimum is a soldering iron (and ability to solder) and a multimeter capable of measuring up to 300v dc ( and ideally ac). Also can you say whether you have restored anything similar in the past, and whether you have the knowledge to read and understand a circuit diagram? Cheers, Jerry
Old 18th Dec 2018, 9:52 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The fault(s) on this may simply be a need to clean the mechanical piano key push buttons and the 3 potentiometers. With the unit unplugged, spray these controls with Servisol.
The potentiometers are concentric so do try to ensure penetration of the lubricant where there is a small gap in the metal casing on the controls.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 4:44 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

You say the gram channel doesn't work at all, but has the radio also died? There are several parts which should be changed before you continue to use it, mostly capacitors but some resistors also fail.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread