UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2011, 10:16 am   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Remotely hosted images

The accepted way of adding pictures and other files is by clicking on "manage attachments" which can be found if you scroll down the "post reply" page (or use "go advanced" from the "quick reply" box). Don't forget to click "upload" before exiting from the "manage attachments" box! This includes the images neatly as thumbnails at the bottom of the post which people can view if they wish.

Posting (or hotlinking) large embedded images in posts which are hosted elsewhere can make the text difficult to read (particularly on smaller screens) and can cause problems for users on slower connections. Remotely hosted images have also been known to disappear without warning, rendering the posts useless.

The moderators spend a considerable time converting remotely hosted embedded images to thumbnails/attachments.

For the above reasons and to stop members posting large files as embedded images, the system software will be modified accordingly in the next few days. Links to websites will continue to function as normal

Thank you,
The moderating team.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Jan 2011, 10:40 am   #2
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Remotely hosted images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Remotely hosted images have also been known to disappear without warning, rendering the posts useless.
Paul,
Indeed so.
I belong to another Forum where remote hosting of images is the norm. However, trying to look at Threads more than a year or so old is hopeless because most of the images are blank.
The excuse for the approach is that it cuts down on Server space.
I like your method.
Alan
Old 14th Jan 2011, 2:13 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

I agree, as there is nothing worse than scrolling down a thread and having some enormous, unwieldy image appear which makes it a chore to go through the thread in question. And yes, the disappearance at a later date can be annoying.

The only thing I would add is that for complex things like schematics, reducing these to the maximum image size/dimension of the forum often makes them illegible. It might be worth upping that limit, in view of this, so there would be no need to host them elsewhere.

I also think the 'slower connections' problem is rapidly becoming (or has become) a thing of the past, what with broadband ADSL now being offered by every provider. I remember in the early 'net days, the image thing being a problem with dial up, but that is now long gone and even the slowest ADSL can cope with downloading images (within reason!).

Last edited by ben; 14th Jan 2011 at 2:16 pm. Reason: typos
Old 14th Jan 2011, 2:18 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

I agree also - embedded images are much easier and remotely hosted images are a pain.

I am on this Forum most lunchtimes at work (like now!) and some remotely hosted sites are blocked by our firewalls. So I can't even see images on these sites now!

Thank you Paul and the team!
Old 14th Jan 2011, 6:18 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
The only thing I would add is that for complex things like schematics, reducing these to the maximum image size/dimension of the forum often makes them illegible.
The easiest solution with schematics and other diagrams that need to be large to remain legible is to ZIP them and attach the ZIP file. The filesize limits are much higher for ZIPs (and PDFs) than for images.

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Jan 2011, 6:36 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Thank you all for your supportive comments.

It's good to know that we are doing the right things!
Old 15th Jan 2011, 12:33 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This change is now completed.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread