UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:22 am   #1
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Odd email notifications

I sometimes experience an odd effect with email notifications. I'll frequently get notifications regarding an addition to an old posting while sometimes no notification arrives regarding a more recent one. Is there some reason for this selectivity?

Les.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:48 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Odd email notifications

You will only get an email notification if you subscribe to a thread, and this is off by default. Most likely you are subscribed to the older threads but not to the newer ones.

When subscribed you get one email per thread on the first update, and no further emails for that thread until you revisit the forum.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:54 am   #3
lesmw0sec
Octode

Ah - got it. Thanks!
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:01 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I once found a website that emailed me every time I logged on.
The check box was hiding in the PM console.
Paul has set it up the same way as I would have set it up.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:30 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The more emails a website sends, the more likely that IP is to get flagged as a spammer. I have tried to set it to send the emails needed or requested only, within the options available.

The whole point of subscribing to threads is to alert you that there has been activity and to invite you back to view it, not so you can monitor the whole thread by email notifications.

There are some systems when it is useful and reassuring to have an email for every login or change, mainly things where I would never expect anyone else to log into my account and need to know if they do (such as web hosting admin panels).

Paul Stenning
Old 7th Nov 2018, 12:36 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I think it was a mistake that had been made during a forum software update on the site concerned.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 8:42 pm   #7
Boulevardier
Octode

There is another forum that I sometimes visit (DIY Audio) that presents you with a "front page" showing all actvity on all threads on the forum in chronological order. I find this very useful in keeping up with forum discussions. That forum has huge levels of activity with contributors all over the world, and postings that come in at the rate of many every minute. Is this just too complicated to implement for a smaller forum like UKVR?

I find UKVR an excellent, friendly and generous-spirited forum, and thank all those who keep it going, but it would be quite useful to have something similar.

Mike
Old 8th Nov 2018, 10:09 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It comes down to what functionality is included in the forum software used, and the version of vBulletin here doesn't have anything like that.

Choosing "New Posts" or "Quick Links" -> "Today's Posts" may show some of what you want though.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread