UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 9:11 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default Library for file uploads

Hi.

It has probably been mentioned before but it would be really useful if the forum had a facility to upload files of medium to high resolution. The file attachments normally tagged to posts in individual threads have necessarily been reduced in size for obvious reasons but having a library feature would be good. I don't know what the storage capacity would have to be but can envisage it would be very large as time passes. Could this feature be added to the forum or would it be impracticable?

Regards
Symon.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:38 am   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Library for file uploads

How about using a third-party online storage facility then posting a shareable link? I do recognise that there is a downside associated with using such products (Google in particular) i.e. the unavoidable plethora of 'Consumer-Related Alternative Programs' with which one's computing device becomes infested as part of the sign-up process ...
Best wishes
Guy
Old 12th Sep 2018, 8:41 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

ZIP and PDF file attachments can be up to 2MB. That should be ample for high resolution photos etc (you just have to go to the small amount of effort to create a ZIP file). You can have up to 5 of these attachments per post too. So there are facilities for using reasonable sized attachments.

The reason photos are resized when uploaded as-is is disk space, and for most things a smaller photo that uses a lot less space and bandwidth is fine. So the default method of adding photos resizes them to save space.

As of now this forum with all its attachments and database etc takes 21.5GB of space on the web server, and it will obviously continue to increase.

The option is there with ZIP (or PDF) files to upload high resolution images and larger files, it just needs to be something you deliberately choose rather than being the default.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Sep 2018, 9:07 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

What I had in mind was a place to hold larger files. For instance, if a member requests service information for a piece of test equipment, or a magazine article scan, then quite often the size of the file is going to exceed the limit for adding to a thread. The scanned file then has to be emailed as an attachment to the member requiring it. Other members may want to access this particular file but obviously can't.
I suppose it would involve a fair amount of time for the moderators to oversee this to ensure there are no problems, not to mention the overall storage capacity limit.
It was just a thought to have a file storage facility as I believe VRAT have something similar, though I don't know for sure, as my membership lapsed in the past as things there seemed to change around somewhat.

Regards
Symon
Old 14th Sep 2018, 3:52 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

When I have needed to include high resolution images in my posts I usually upload and include a link to the image on Flickr. Sometimes the link is to an entire album.

The disadvantage of using an external site is that there is no guarantee that they will still be in place in years to come, and nobody likes dead links in the forum.

So maybe in future, I will attach the normal thumbnail/low resolution image for casual viewing, and, where I feel the need, a .zip file of the original camera's resolution for those who need to zoom in to the minutiae in the image.

Low resolution image:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	169302

High Resolution Image
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hi_Res_Image.zip (1.46 MB, 92 views)
Old 14th Sep 2018, 4:05 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I just take a full definition photo and use the crop function in an editor to get the bit I am talking about and select save as... and post the resulting snippet.
The raw images from my sub £100 camera are often more that 8.5MB.
My editing effectively works like a digital zoom and often brings the image to be posted down to below 800X600 so that I can see what other members will see once it is on the forum.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:12 pm   #7
M3VUV51
Banned

Default files section

Why can't this forum have a files section where members can upload manuals etc? Anyone??
Old 12th Oct 2018, 2:43 pm   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Who will pay for the storage space? Who will manage copyright issues? Who will ensure that only one copy of each manual is uploaded so space is not wasted?
Closed Thread