UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2014, 2:21 pm   #21
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Smoke

I've got a Rotel power amp that one day recently gave a quiet pop and started smoking. It carried on working but obviously I switched off fast. On trying it again it worked perfectly but a cursory glance inside didn't even show any sign of where the smoke came from. It was, as I said, only a cursory glance but reading this thread convinces me this is the problem. I don't yet know what make of capacitors are used in the amp but I'll have a look (probably next week).

Regards,
Paul
Old 18th Jun 2014, 3:45 pm   #22
threeseven
Octode

Being Japanese it won't be a RIFA cap. Although no cap in that application can be expected to last forever. Modern X & Y rated caps will fail safe though, instead of exploding!
Old 18th Jun 2014, 5:55 pm   #23
camtechman
Nonode

Rifa....Smoke....the mind boggles !
Old 18th Jun 2014, 6:08 pm   #24
threeseven
Octode

Wouldn't know what you mean
Old 18th Jun 2014, 7:33 pm   #25
m0cemdave
Octode

They were probably designed in the 1960's, when such things were intended to go up in smoke...
Old 19th Jun 2014, 12:56 pm   #26
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Modern X & Y rated caps will fail safe though, instead of exploding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
They were probably designed in the 1960's, when such things were intended to go up in smoke...
I am fairly sure that Rifa still make these capacitors. They certainly did in the 1980's, with all the approvals on the side. And the 1990's. I just haven't looked as I have avoided them since a few failed on me early on in my career - on the bench luckily, not out in the field.

They are dreadful.
Old 19th Jun 2014, 2:53 pm   #27
Leon Crampin
Octode

It's "Rifa" not Reefer.

The Japanese makers did use these as mains filters because of their approvals. I've found them in all sorts of unlikely places including a set of Swiss made horse clippers. Smoke here is a complication I would not care for...

Leon.
Old 19th Jun 2014, 6:16 pm   #28
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Also used in Siemens electricity meters, made I think, by Landis & Gyr. They explode and take out the 100 Ohm resistor in series. Leave behind the usual filthy mess too.
Unfortunately this also alters the meter readings drastically and I have not worked out how to re-set them.
So much for approvals printed all over one side!

Boater Sam.
Old 20th Jun 2014, 5:51 am   #29
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I am fairly sure that Rifa still make these capacitors
They certainly do, as 'EVOX RIFA" they remain a catalogue item, along with a variety of blue and green encapsulations.

To be fair, they do not normally die prematurely, but they still don't enjoy a long and peaceful life. They are probably good for 15-20 years in a reasonably benign environment, but I come across them in 20-30 year old industrial gear.

Cheers

Billy
Old 20th Jun 2014, 9:07 am   #30
Radio Wrangler

The capacitors seem to be the limiting factor in quite a lot of equipment and they fail very dramatically. So they are becoming associated with equipment failures.

They might last a reasonable amount of time, but they cause collateral damage and frighten people.

The one in my sig gen burnt a hole through the metal can of a Schaffner mains inlet, so in Leon's case of horse clippers, I don't fancy dropping burning clippers into the straw in a stable.

One of the approvals hieroglyphs on the casing is UL, Underwriters Laboratories who grew out of the fire insurance associations in America. They are VERY interested in any failure mode which can initiate combustion, and at any age.

David
Old 20th Jun 2014, 11:56 am   #31
AC/HL
Dekatron

They are the first line of defence in a very dirty environment. For every one that fails there must be countless instances of much worse damage being prevented.
I somehow doubt that most of the Worlds standards agencies are completely wrong.

A new wonder plastic that completely eliminates the fire risk would be nice, but as other capacitor manufacturers have found, new plastics can have their own Achilles Heel.
Old 20th Jun 2014, 12:57 pm   #32
Radio Wrangler

Unfortunately the most promising fireproofing agents for plastics got listed in ROHS...

The paper ones were designed to survive a flashover and heal shorts, which they do.

RIFA are certainly legit with these parts, but their name is getting a stinker of a reputation

David
Old 20th Jun 2014, 2:21 pm   #33
daviddeakin
Hexode

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I applied a reverse voltage to a small electrolytic capacitor a few years ago. Not knowing my mistake, I left it running for a few minutes. Suddenly there was a great gush of acrid blue-ish smoke spewing from this tiny capacitor like a stage effect in a heavy-metal concert. I thought it was never going to end! Stank something terrible for hours.
Old 20th Jun 2014, 2:36 pm   #34
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
One of the approvals hieroglyphs on the casing is UL, Underwriters Laboratories who grew out of the fire insurance associations in America. They are VERY interested in any failure mode which can initiate combustion, and at any age.
Hardly surprising, in a country with a lot of wooden buildings and 120 V (therefore, more amps per kW than the 230 V world) electrics .....
Old 20th Jun 2014, 2:50 pm   #35
Leon Crampin
Octode

In terms of approvals, I can tell you that in my experience, Approvals Houses are clueless as to the real failure mechanisms of components. Working in the automotive sector in the '70s, it was obvious to us that they had no understanding whatsoever of the real issues.

Thermal fatigue, mismatched expansion rates and poor mechanical design were just not revealed by their procedures. We designed our own tests to sort them out.

One of my best tests was to wire 30 x 1N4002 is a series string, suspend it from the ceiling and hang a weight on the bottom - equivalent to the maximum allowable axial lead pull. The diodes were then subjected to maximum forward current as a string - 30 secs on, and 30 secs off. With a counter in the circuit, this continued to failure. The remaining diodes would then go into the dishwasher and then be measured for reverse leakage.

Many components with approvals failed miserably. The glass passivated under plastic components were better - the Japanese the best.

Failure of these diodes was a potentially serious business for us as so many were used as flywheel diodes across solenoids - eg. in 'bus gearbox controllers.

I guess with the "Rifa" test, I earned my month's salary...

Leon.
Old 20th Jun 2014, 9:53 pm   #36
Maarten
Dekatron

You certainly did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
To be fair, they do not normally die prematurely, but they still don't enjoy a long and peaceful life. They are probably good for 15-20 years in a reasonably benign environment, but I come across them in 20-30 year old industrial gear.
While not prematurely, they do fail completely unnecessarily. Better dielectrics and encapsulations already existed in the 1980's, let alone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
They are the first line of defence in a very dirty environment. For every one that fails there must be countless instances of much worse damage being prevented.
I somehow doubt that most of the Worlds standards agencies are completely wrong.
A new wonder plastic that completely eliminates the fire risk would be nice, but as other capacitor manufacturers have found, new plastics can have their own Achilles Heel.
Such plastic is not needed in capacitors in which faillure modes are reasonable (according to the IEC and UL regulations, anything but opening up or shorting out is deemed unreasonable). The first line of defense means that a capacitor in an electrically dirty environment will open up slowly, or short in extreme cases but not that it will become a source of damage itself, damage that is larger then without the capacitor. No more, no less. I'm also at a loss as to why they were approved, but apparently the tests devised by boards that should know better don't cover all faillure modes (possibly including a mode which will have the capacitor survive the relatively short and extreme climate tests, but not real life less extreme long climate tests that include mechanical stress effects).

Last edited by Maarten; 20th Jun 2014 at 10:08 pm.
Old 20th Jun 2014, 11:55 pm   #37
McMurdo
Dekatron

Certainly fitted to some jap equipment. I had one pop on a late 70's Yamaha organ a few months ago while I was fault-finding in another area...it had been in a shed for 5 years.
Old 21st Jun 2014, 8:22 am   #38
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The real shame is that thousands of good quality electrical appliances are taken to the dump with little more than a faulty mains filter capacitor. The heavy smoke frightens the user [and who can blame them?] resulting in a new purchase and yet more wicked waste. John.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 1:40 pm   #39
ianhumph
Triode

I bought a circa 1966 valved Ultra suitcase record player from a car boot sale (the model number eludes me...) around 10 years ago. This was before the days of me using the Internet and a good while before I joined here. However, logic told me that it wasn't the wisest thing to just plug in straight in. I paid £4 for it, so if the worst happened then I wasn't going to have lost much and already had a later Fidelity HF 45 which I still use often.

The deck spun after a tiny bit of manual encouragement from me and it got up to near enough its correct speed. So, I got an old mono single and popped it on - all was well for a couple of minutes. The sound was not great but listenable. When a fair old amount of smoke started to come from it, I decided that the only thing to do was run over to the socket and switch it off. A friend who was present said it was probably 'dust on the valves' and I said that it thought it could be a capacitor. I wasn't aware of them exploding back then! I opened a window, let it 'cool down' for a while and switched it back on. The smoke lessened and stopped.

Days later, I tried the machine again and it had a little smoke once more - but when I used the player over the coming weeks it didn't do it again. I put it in storage and it got pinched, unfortunately!

Last edited by ianhumph; 23rd Jun 2014 at 1:42 pm. Reason: spelling correction
Old 30th Jun 2014, 5:02 pm   #40
WaveyDipole
Nonode

They don't use jumbo versions of them in electricity sub-stations by any co-incidence do they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-28084409

I did hear and see and electrolytic let rip inside a computer monitor once with a loud bang, a bright spark and a cloud of smoke shortly thereafter. Curiously the monitor carried on working although, of course, we did promptly turn it off. I don't think I have ever seen one of these RIFA types go though.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 30th Jun 2014 at 5:09 pm.
Closed Thread