UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:56 am   #21
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
I have just finished work on the chassis of an A372 and managed to drop and smash the case whilst reassembling the set.
Alas, I dropped my immaculate Murphy U602 and smashed the case, after fully restoring the chassis - grrrr!! I have another case (for a U502), but it's not so nice.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:58 am   #22
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
Thanks for mentioning that Classic fm will be able to squeeze in. Does that affect the accuracy of the other end of the scale?
No. The sets nominal coverage is 87.5 to 100MHz but in practice it is slightly more. Where I live Classic FM is on 101.1MHz and the radio pulls it in fine. In some areas Classic FM is on higher frequencies so you may have to interfere with the alignment of the VHF front end. Doing this runs the risk of losing part of the low frequency end the band of course.

BTW the tuning scale had not been refitted when I dropped the set and so was not at risk.
Old 6th Jul 2018, 11:02 am   #23
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Alas, I dropped my immaculate Murphy U602 and smashed the case, after fully restoring the chassis.....
Its a horrible feeling looking down at a smashed cabinet and thinking "did that really just happen?"

The U602 is a nice looking set with a stile reminiscent of the Philips B2G04U.
Old 6th Jul 2018, 7:54 pm   #24
flyingtech55
Octode

It's at moments like that when you wish you could just take out your wand and say 'Reparo' and the thing would leap back onto the bench totally repaired. On the other hand, entropy is always waiting in the wings.

Tim
Old 6th Jul 2018, 8:29 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

If you're anything like me, procuring a replacement for a self-damaged one is not good enough. You set out to restore yours, and only yours will do. To use modern parlance, it's 'closure' to bring it back to original splendour.

When I was 4 years old, I dropped my ice cream onthe floor at Chester Zoo. I burst into tears. My auntie immediately offered to buy me another. 'No..I dont want another one...I want THAT one!' was the response. I was mourning the loss of an innocent ice cream.

Today I feel the same about wrecked radios.
Old 6th Jul 2018, 8:36 pm   #26
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
The U602 is a nice looking set with a stile reminiscent of the Philips B2G04U.
Style of course, not stile.
Old 6th Jul 2018, 9:42 pm   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Very annoying and I suspect we have all done something similar if not with a Bakelite radio. All part of life's rich structure and thankfully it is only an old radio.
Tomorrow is another day. Take care, John.
Closed Thread