UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2018, 8:40 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

I think it's because BH doesn't pretend to be anything other than entertainment. They conveniently forget about the buyer's and seller's commission which will always be a tidy sum in any real auction sale.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 9:43 pm   #22
qualityten
Octode

The painful side of watching these programmes, apart from occasional upcycling destruction, is seeing the camera pan past an interesting item of vintage audio or radio equipment, only to focus on a piece of ceramic bric a brac. When they do stop and look they have no idea of what they are seeing. I once saw antiques expert Drew haggle over some Quad ESL-57s, and eventually grudgingly pay quite a low amount because they would be hard to sell.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 10:12 pm   #23
mark_in_manc
Octode

I don't understand why folks allow the likes of that Drew fella to buy their stuff, when presumably they could sell it themselves for more. Unless the TV company pay them too for appearing, so it works out OK in the end and 'our man' gets to look like a mean negotiator?

Anyway, confession time - the first wind-up I played with had a sound box on a big rubber grommet, not the kind-of-bayonet fitting I have on others. The latter sort themselves out nicely to trail the needle at 45 degrees or so. The former don't, and I lowered the needle vertically. Swarf did emerge, but at least I had it rotating the correct way () and at least I noticed pretty quick!

My biggest needle regret is unintentionally using a broken needle from an interesting magazine-loading semi-automatic sound box, and ruining my copy of Hutch singing 'Let's do it'. Well, I found it in Oxfam once, perhaps I'll find it again.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 10:16 pm   #24
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
the cop out seems to be sticking a bulb on something and turning it into a lamp.
A good friend used to run a sizable amateur wind band, that I used to occasionally play clarinet with. He was a much better clarinet player than I was. But when he retired from leading the band and playing himself - he turned his own clarinet into a lamp.

In fairness he had played it pretty much to death over the decades.

Craig
Old 11th Jun 2018, 10:43 pm   #25
The Philpott
Dekatron

Recently saw one of these programmes where the presenter was in a curio shop. The camera panned past a 6 phase mercury arc vacuum tube, which was ignored, only to settle on a manky old stepladder. Oooh! Bookshelves! No accounting for taste..
Old 11th Jun 2018, 11:48 pm   #26
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
For some reason I enjoy Bargain Hunt but can't stand Flog It - odd as they are almost identical programmes
Yes, that I can relate to as well - although I do watch both - occasionally.
To me 'Flog it' seems to have a distinct air of 'elitist patronism' about it, which is far less prevalent in 'Bargain Hunt'. However, I do find Wannacott's sporadic interjections rather annoying.

Al.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 11:54 pm   #27
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Angry Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffK View Post
With most of these entertainment/documentary type programs what is really annoying is the endless background 'musak' that is added . . .
It's the often very loud music that is over-dubbed on 'Homes Under the Hammer' that makes me rapidly hit the mute button! It's just so unnecessary.

Al.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:05 am   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

During the mid-1960s, occasionally, on the way home from school, I would pop in to see my personal 'alma mater' in his workshop where he repaired radios and TVs as a sole trader. ( I learnt a lot a basic electronics from him. Sadly, he passed away about 15 years ago; Amateur Radio call-sign G4IOT).
One of his favourite 'repair techniques' to radios like the DAC90 - which had a burnt out dropper - was to drill a hole in the top of the case (!), fit a bayonet cap lamp-holder and then fit a 60-watt bulb plus small shade as a 'replacement dropper'. Somehow I never had the courage nor sheer temerity to ask him "Do you always check with the owner first before you do that?"

Al.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 6:42 am   #29
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
For some reason I enjoy Bargain Hunt but can't stand Flog It - odd as they are almost identical programmes
I'm the opposite! In Bargain Hunt, annoyingly the contestants seem to forget the nature of the auction and go for daft things of limited general appeal, but they just happen to like themselves. The result? They pay sixty quid for something that two people bid on and fetches thirty. On Flog It there are often very nice older people who have something of modest value such as a vase that they're no longer interested in and want to use the "hundred quid" to go towards a visit to say see a distant relative, something simple and 'human' like that. I'm not a big fan of it I may add, I just prefer it to BH. Interesting how we all have different views!
Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:00 am   #30
Hartley118
Nonode

Interesting that we're assuming that it's obvious that a sound box should be oriented so that the needle trails rather than 'digs in'. But why? Today's records are cut with a 15 degree vertical angle so that the correct cartridge replay angle is 'digging in' at 15 degrees.

Why is it OK with today's cartridges but wrong with a soundbox? Is it the steel needle? That doesn't quite fit with the fact that a new steel needle isn't sharp like a cutting tool, but has a smooth spherical-shaped tip very similar to a diamond stylus.

Martin
Old 12th Jun 2018, 10:05 am   #31
AC/HL
Dekatron

I'd guess it's the "Tons per square inch on a refined Macadam surface" as I've seen 78's described in print, versus grams on a plastic one.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 11:09 am   #32
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I'd guess it's the "Tons per square inch on a refined Macadam surface" as I've seen 78's described in print, versus grams on a plastic one.
But grams per square what? Not sure what the contact area is with a spherical stylus tip on the hard surface of a 78.

Pretty small I guess.

I guess that the answer must lie with the rapid wear of the steel needle into something resembling a cutting tool. Maybe the late great Percy Wilson MA published it somewhere.

Martin
Old 12th Jun 2018, 8:40 pm   #33
The Philpott
Dekatron

I recall seeing a feature on a collector's room full of ephemera, including his coveted juke box. he played an Elvis single, during which the speed cycled unevenly between about 41 and 44rpm, turning the crooner into a drunken banshee.

'I like it like that, you have to remember its feeling it's age and the sound is part of its character.'

Yes dear..go and play in the garden now.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 9:31 pm   #34
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Quote:
Same here. Maybe the varied locations of Bargain Hunt make it more attractive.
I can't stand Bargain Hunt. I swear that if the world was going to end in a few hours, they'd be showing Bargain Hunt on BBC1!

Cheers, Aub
Old 12th Jun 2018, 9:59 pm   #35
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The reality shows, of which from a casual glance seem to dominate the medium, leave me cold. I am finding it more and more difficult to find programmes to watch. Usually fall back most evenings to a book and the radio. Daytime TV is not for me either.

Just a grumpy old man.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 10:23 am   #36
AC/HL
Dekatron

No, just a Human. Life would be tedious if we were all the same, or even similar
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 2:59 pm   #37
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
The reality shows, of which from a casual glance seem to dominate the medium, leave me cold. I am finding it more and more difficult to find programmes to watch. Usually fall back most evenings to a book and the radio. Daytime TV is not for me either.

Just a grumpy old man.
I totally agree. (Apart from the grumpy old man bit.)
There is an answer, get a moderately-sized (?60cm) sattellite dish, preferably motorised, and a cheap generic receiver, and like me, you will never have to watch the B.B.C., or any other mind- numbing British channel again.
There is so much English-language material of all kinds out there. It is a different world.
- And its free, and not all political propaganda, either! Tony
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:06 pm   #38
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I am the exact opposite, I much prefer to watch the BBC simply because I can't stand otherwise interesting programmes being interrupted by boringly repetitive advertisements for products I generally have no interest in.

Andy
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:51 pm   #39
radiograham
Hexode

Thumbs down Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Quote:
Same here. Maybe the varied locations of Bargain Hunt make it more attractive.
I can't stand Bargain Hunt. I swear that if the world was going to end in a few hours, they'd be showing Bargain Hunt on BBC1!

Cheers, Aub
You can bet it would be Bargain Hunt or Homes under the Hammer!.
Closed Thread