UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2018, 11:28 am   #1
mst10101
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help on identifying an Elizabethan reel to reel

Hi all.

I have been clearing out my loft and come across an Elziabethan reel to reel tape player. However, I am struggling to identify its model. I have searched google, read through forums and searched via images but still struggling and hoping one of you knowledgeable chaps might be able to offer some help.

I have attached a couple of pictures and if you require any further information please just let me know and I will provide all I can.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	163837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	163838  
Old 30th May 2018, 7:39 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Help on identifying an Elizabethan reel to reel

Hello and welcome.
Elizabethan were a decidedly average brand using tape deck mechanisms bought in from the likes of BSR, Collaro and the later incarnation of the latter, Magnavox, whose 363 deck is what's fitted to yours.

I've never personally owned a 363 but a friend who had one back in the late '60s seemed pleased with his. However, reading some thread here (search for Magnavox 363) indicate there may be a design fault in that the motor spindle cannot shift its heat quickly enough so nearby rubber parts suffer. Experts please elaborate!

If it was mine I'd try half-heartedly to get it going but if it turned out to be a basket-case I'd fit one of my spare Collaro Studio decks. But that's just me...
Good luck
Graham
Old 30th May 2018, 7:58 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

LZ102?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...tape-244644950

Lawrence.
Old 30th May 2018, 8:05 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Elizabethan made lots of cheap'n'cheerful recorders and record players in the 60s, using off the shelf decks and other subassemblies. They weren't awful by any means, and were better than much of the competition. You wouldn't have found them in Abbey Road Studios though.
Old 30th May 2018, 8:39 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Agreed. Elizabethan used just about every deck going over fifteen years in the market, even using a very odd one of their own design - briefly! This experience translated into good, solid budget designs, devoid of obvious faults but not quite on the Eltra/Reps level, where the bought-in decks were modified to improve performance or versatility.

The Studio was probably the best of the Collaro decks - the Transcriptor was over-complicated, in hindsight, and the 363 was a direct competitor to the BSR TD10 without the latter's bullet-proof simplicity. Mac Hellyer went into some detail about the weaknesses in the 363 which became apparent when the model was current in his servicing article on the Truvox Series 40, in Tape Recorder sometime in 1968, if memory serves.
Old 31st May 2018, 1:27 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

The origin of the Collaro/Magnavox remains uncertain; it is believed lncis of Italy may have been involved. Incis was certainly involved in the Truvox 60/Elizabethan LZ27 'own brand' budget decks possibly developed in association with Collaro.

The 363 was a sound design which offered great versatility, but the Truvox 40 was let down by Truvox's poor electronics. Legend has it that when Magnavox ceased production in 1967, Truvox bought the remaining stocks and designs rights, but it was soon superseded by Truvox's new (not overly successful) Model 50.
Old 31st May 2018, 7:16 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

The Hellyer review can be read here:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...nd-1969-05.pdf

Page 11

Having owned a 363 the two things I didn't like were the motor rubber idler, which sent it to its grave, and the fact that the capstan wasn't turning all the time. Instead only when you select 'play' is the motor powered up, and only then is it applied to the stationary flywheel leading to a 'mrrrrrrp' as the tape gets up to speed.
Closed Thread