UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2018, 11:54 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Valve/Transistor Breadboard Circuits from "Understanding Science"

Hi!

About three months short of 11 years ago (!!!!) I posed the question, shortly after joining the Forum, "Did anyone recognise an encyclopaedia/part work that had coloured pictures of Valved/Transistor Breadboard circuits, explained and annotated, and I don't recall any reply!

I'm pleased to update that thread to say I came across them again purely by chance when looking in Bookbarn International, in Somerset, about two years ago!

They were in the "Electronics" section of a very early weekly part work called "Understanding Science", published from 1962–1965 by Purcell and Sons, in twelve binders, and after much eBay hunting I eventually managed to get a full set of this!

This course even included an article on tunnel–diode operation, something I wouldn't have expected to find out in a course written primarily for young people, which was it's aim!

If anyone would like me to scan and post the course, I'll see what I can do!

Chris Williams
Old 29th May 2018, 10:05 am   #2
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Valve/Transistor Breadboard Circuits from "Understanding Science"

I recall the “Understanding Science” series – quite good on many fronts. I think it devoted a few issues to a breadboarded valved superhet radio receiver that had separate oscillator and mixer valves including a “hexode” for the mixer. At the time I wondered wherefrom that hexode came, as there did not seem to be any unaccompanied hexodes in the then-known valve inventory – heptodes yes but hexodes no.

Cheers,
Old 29th May 2018, 10:28 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I can remember a bound partwork magazine thingy in the library at school in maybe 1965-1966 with electronic stuff built on breadboards and photographed inside it. Quite interesting to me at the time, but I can't remember the title. It seemed good.

David
Old 29th May 2018, 10:55 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

I would download a copy Chris55000
Cheers
Joe
Old 29th May 2018, 12:13 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I remember collecting the second edition of that, maybe around 1968-1970. A physics teacher at school organised it. I kept them for many years, but I think they eventually had to go in preparation for a house move.

I remember a VHF transmitter, based on a 6C4/EC90 power oscillator. I wonder if anyone ever built that, and annoyed the Post Office inspectors?
Old 29th May 2018, 12:48 pm   #6
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I'm pleased I've got some interest in this - it makes the time and money spent trying to round up all the missing volumes worthwhile!

I'll make a start on scanning the "Electronics" Section over the next few days/weeks - there was also an "Electricity" section of this as well!

Me thinks the diagrams will appeal as well - full colour printing certainly wasn't common in those days!

Chris Williams

PS!

I doubt very much this would be in copyright now!
Old 29th May 2018, 1:58 pm   #7
dominicbeesley
Octode

That sounds interesting, please do scan it!
Old 29th May 2018, 5:05 pm   #8
Biggles
Rest in Peace

They sound a bit like a set of large green? books/folders I had when I was a kid. I distinctly remember a valve superhet all laid out on a board and a circuit diagram which pretty much followed the physical layout. I seem to remember the sleeved wire interconnections were colour coded too. I was fascinated by the circuits, but I was a bit too young to build or even afford the bits and make a power supply. I wonder if they are still in the loft at my parents house? Another favourite book at that time was Richard Scarry's Storybook Dictionary, although that didn't have any electronics in it!
Alan.
Old 29th May 2018, 5:07 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
I'm pleased I've got some interest in this - it makes the time and money spent trying to round up all the missing volumes worthwhile!
That sounds like a great project, Chris - can't wait to see some of these, and I love the production qualities of that era.

Quote:
I doubt very much this would be in copyright now!
Haha! Not so sure. The 'fair use/usage' caveat applies. That means you can reproduce the material in a critical context, to a reasonable extent, so long as it's not for commercial gain. So you could say, alongside a circuit diagram or an extract of 250 words...'Interesting how the author suggests blah blah...' much as we do very often on this forum.

Copyright in the typographical layout, only, of the article/magazine lasts for 25 years after publication. Otherwise the rights in the underlying content stay with the author or his/her estate for 70 years after their death.

Of course, that can be pretty difficult to ascertain, if not impossible. In practice, there aren't lawsuits over sensible use that isn't for commercial gain.
Old 30th May 2018, 10:15 am   #10
avocollector
Heptode

There were some marvellous mags like this for kids around in the early 60's - I recall the series knowledge and others as well. Plus the small electronics labs that enabled you to build all sorts of things. Mind you some of the info was a bit iffy - recall trying to build a morse transmitter at the age of 7 or so using a circuit I'd got from somewhere with a spark gap!! I had the right idea (using a car coil) but fortunately never got the gap right!!!
Closed Thread