UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2006, 2:13 pm   #1
Alvin
Heptode

Default Decca Double Decca 46 Chassis Bolt Seals

Trader sheet 788 for this set mentions cloth seals on the underside of the case covering the chassis fixing bolts - can anyone tell me the type of material used and size of the seals? I rather feel that the stuff used on my recently acquired example - see pic - isn't original

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double Decca Bottom - 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	3009  
Old 8th Mar 2006, 2:33 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Decca Double Decca 46 Chassis Bolt Seals

Hi Alvin, My Double Decca 46 still has all four of the original "seals" intact, But in reality they are only bits of beige coloured cloth-backed rexine about 1 1/2" square stuck on over the bolts , Not much protection from the live chassis on this cute looking but technically nasty set........ .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Aug 2007 at 3:32 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 8th Mar 2006, 7:45 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Mick's said, these are obviously a "safety component" rather than a mere nicety. Personally, I'd forget originality here and use something a bit more robust.

Nick
Old 8th Mar 2006, 10:27 pm   #4
Alvin
Heptode

>they are only bits of beige coloured cloth-backed rexine

when I read this I was somewhat surprised by beige but then I saw the pic and realised your radio is a different colour to mine

>As Mick's said, these are obviously a "safety component" rather than a mere nicety.
>Personally, I'd forget originality here and use something a bit more robust.

Indeed - thick carpet tape or gaffa tape would probably be as effective as rexine or I guess I could use nylon bolts instead of metal ones.

Alvin
Closed Thread