UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2014, 3:14 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Wave Motion

Not sure if this video link has been posted before, excellent film showing wave motion, standing waves, impedance matching etc, ideal for those trying to grasp the concept.

The video starts off with a modern introduction then shortly afterwards continues into the old film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DovunOxlY1k

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 5:36 pm   #2

Default Re: Wave Motion

There was something similar on a BVWS DVD a while ago, I must take a look at the AT&T archive later.

Old 20th Nov 2014, 7:10 pm   #3
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Lawrence, most informative and helpful
Nick
Old 20th Nov 2014, 8:13 pm   #4

Just watched it, no dumbing down, lots of fact, OK I know most of it but having a picture and a clear explanation is worth a lot. Well done AT&T, I will look for more gems.

Old 20th Nov 2014, 9:14 pm   #5
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Great link Lawrence. Many thanks as it took me back and was very refreshing.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 9:17 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent - being largely self-taught, the concept of impedence as cause / effect was new to me, and most enlightening.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 2:28 am   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember seeing a wave machine of this sort in a Royal Institution Christmas Lecture on the BBC back in the 1960's and always wondered how they worked. A Great film.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 5:09 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

It's awfully tempting to make one. The centre wire, the torsion spring, is probably piano wire. The elements could be any stiff wire of the right diameter. I assume the joints are spot-welds. A jig would need to be made. For a spot weld it would be best if the elements were of the same alloy as the centre wire.

I'd never seen one of these before.

The approach to wave mechanics we got was jumping straight in mathematically with no attempt at visualisation. The only people who 'got it' were those who could work it out for themselves.

David
Old 21st Nov 2014, 2:38 pm   #9
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Exactly the same here David. Such clarity provided by these machines. Let us know how your build project goes. You could try epoxy glue instead of spot welding.
Old 21st Nov 2014, 5:45 pm   #10

Quote:
I assume the joints are spot-welds
these days a drop of Loctite retainer would do the job. Down to the model shop for a yard of piano wire and the takaway for a handful of chopsticks, I have the Loctite.

Old 21st Nov 2014, 7:54 pm   #11
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

I can see a lot of creativity going on here. I will join in the fun once a few other projects are put to bed. What have Lawrence and AT&T started ??
Old 21st Nov 2014, 8:24 pm   #12

Quote:
What have Lawrence and AT&T started ??
Quite simply, understanding.

Closed Thread