UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2014, 9:49 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Use for all those worn out UL41s?

Don't throw those old low emission valves away. Why not use them as droppers in series heater chains? Obviously you will need to work out the correct current and voltage drop for your particular application. I thought this would be well suited to home brew equipment, saving the cost and mounting problems associated with modern power resistors. It retains the period look too if you use an extra chassis mount valve base for the "dropper"
Alan.
Old 17th Oct 2014, 11:25 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Use for all those worn out UL41s?

Might be a problem with inrush current as the heaters start out low resistance and you're reducing the proportion of stable resistance.

David
Old 18th Oct 2014, 6:16 am   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

I guess they'll continue "heating" for quite some time after their primary function has given out- possibly for some low-power background application such as propogators? Mind you there's the fragility and eventual reliability question here, "gold block" metal-clad power resistors aren't a fortune especially from surplus etc. sources. Yes, it's difficult to think of a useful secondary employment for them...
Old 18th Oct 2014, 9:00 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Alternatively, send the UL41's to me and I'll get them working again.
Old 18th Oct 2014, 11:47 am   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Might be a problem with inrush current as the heaters start out low resistance and you're reducing the proportion of stable resistance.
Yes - though it's no worse for the valves than if they were operated from a transformer. Might hurt a series-connected pilot lamp though.

Must say I'd go for the gold aluminium-clad resistors as turretslug says, it's less chassis drilling. But if you are using breadboard construction, then yes, use the heaters of otherwise-dead valves.
Old 21st Dec 2014, 9:18 pm   #6
ionburn
Heptode

Maybe a step too far but bottles that still light may still find value as otherwise operational looking valves for display purposes. I know that some like their displays and what better than a 'lit up' chassis!
Old 17th Jan 2015, 4:36 am   #7
FrankB
Heptode

In a few radios here I saw defective tubes having the elements tied together and being used as rectifiers. This was done here mostly during the war, as tubes were quite scarce.
they had to modify the socket accordingly, of course.
Closed Thread