UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2005, 8:08 pm   #1
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Restoring bakelite by buffing

I've tryed to search for info on this subject on this website and found no links, so excuse me if I'm preaching to the converted.

I've restored 5 bakelite cased radios to date, and not found one that has not responded well to the treatment. Even quite deep gouges can be removed by this method.

First go over the whole case with Solvol Autosol chrome polish - available from Halfords and most motor accessory shops - use sparingly and don't rub too hard. Polish off with a dry soft cloth.

Look for any deep scratches etc. Rub these with wet 600 grit wet and dry paper - use a bit of washing up liquid in the water. Rub until the scratch has gone. (Use a gentle circular motion).

Now use a standard bench grinder fitted with a 6 inch cotton buffing mop coated with buffing soap - aluminium grade, to go over the whole case until it gleams. You'll need to use a bit of pressure to remove deep marks and rough bits. Sometimes a bit of Solvol smeared on a bad blemish helps.

(There is a company called CETEM who do buffing stuff - see the classic motorcycle press).

Finish off with some good quality furniture wax polish, buff with a clean duster. Hey Presto!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:11 pm.
Old 20th Oct 2005, 8:26 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: restoring bakelite by buffing

Sounds like you're had good results with that method, one to bear in mind. Were the candidates very tatty to start with?

For most cases, Greygate's Polishing Paste No. 6 (also sold as Bakobrite or something like that) works wonders. It cleans and polishes in one procedure, lifting even heavy deposits of grime without having to resort to strong detergents (which often spoil the Bakelite's natural finish).
Old 20th Oct 2005, 8:47 pm   #3
Andy Day
Pentode

Hi Nick.

Yes, they were fairly bashed about on the corners particularly.

The Ferguson 382U I'm working on at the moment is going to the shed tomorrow. The top of the case looks like someone has been ice skating on top of it!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Aug 2007 at 12:41 am. Reason: Removed ref to results that were never posted.
Old 20th Oct 2005, 8:59 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Andy,

a few words from my experience............

Buffing works well, but only if the Bakelite still has its surface intact - if the filler is exposed (surface looks dull and pitted), then it will not polish, boot polish is the only option, and that is temporary (reaches for the spray paint! ).

Cetelem sell a number of grades of polish for hard and soft plastics - I've found them to be most suitable!

Use the largest buffing wheel you can, this prevents heat build up on the mop. The Cetelem book on polishing is most useful, it explains the important relationship between mop diameter and spindle speed (it is the linear speed at the edge of the mop which is important). This becomes more important when you try and polish soft plastics like ABS or Perspex (I've done a lot of the 700 series 'phones).

Wear suitable protective clothing - goggles, heavy apron, gauntlets. I once had a radio case literally explode when I tried to polish it - there were a number of minute stress cracks in the material, and under mild pressure it flew apart. It took hours to get all the small pieces of Bakelite out of my arms (maybe I should add long sleeves as well).

Hope this is of help to you and others.

Jim.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Aug 2007 at 12:43 am. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 21st Oct 2005, 11:24 am   #5
maxwell
Triode

Hi all.

Andy, that’s the same method I’ve been using for some time now, the results have been very successful.
I have found that using “CarPlan” black trim wax for the final polish-up gives an almost mirror like finish if it is vigorously rubbed in, although care must be taken as this wax tends to darken the finish.

Max.
Closed Thread