UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2020, 8:07 pm   #21
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Schematic for a simple "One valve radio"

Most of those listed are TV valves. The EF80 was used in radio's as well and is as good as anything to use in a radio. The problem you will have is finding a circuit that actually uses one. The 6J5 is a simple triode valve and could be used and you may find a vintage circuit that uses a single triode. Google 'simple one-valve radio' and see what comes up. You can always check back here.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:24 pm   #22
paulsherwin

You can easily wire a pentode as a triode if that's what the circuit requires.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:25 pm   #23
radio88
Triode

Thanks very much to everyone for all the suggestions and links, I think I need to do a lot of reading and learning before I go ahead. When I do eventually make a valve radio I will post a picture here.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:44 pm   #24
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi the site http://www.daveysradios.org.uk/ gives lots of details about 1 valve radios i built the bbc studio E set using home wound coil and a 1.5v battery valve type df96 the radio is built on a wooden chasis you can download the building ins. from that webpage or if not i have a copy, the details to make the coil are straightforward but a denco coil will work in this circuit. Details to wind coil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	199411  

Last edited by mickm3for; 20th Feb 2020 at 10:50 pm. Reason: left details out
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 6:31 pm   #25
radio88
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm3for View Post
Hi the site http://www.daveysradios.org.uk/ gives lots of details about 1 valve radios i built the bbc studio E set using home wound coil and a 1.5v battery valve type df96 the radio is built on a wooden chasis you can download the building ins. from that webpage or if not i have a copy, the details to make the coil are straightforward but a denco coil will work in this circuit. Details to wind coil
Thanks for the info and link. I have plenty to go at now.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:52 am   #26
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

May I second Bazz's view (Post 19), when he advises sticking to a proven circuit design (and I would include its proven components too) for a first project, when it is very important to succeed. I run the Davey's Radios web site, and I gently persuaded one newbie not to stray from this path. He was thrilled when he eventually succeeded! Good luck, Radio88, and if you build a Davey design, get in touch via my web site.
Les.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 1:46 pm   #27
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post

My view is that when you're beginning, the thing that is most important is that whatever you build actually WORKS! If it doesn't, you'll probably lose interest and might never come back.

This is absolutely crucial and for that reason if you are a beginner with valves (or a complete beginner for that matter), it's better to start with a circuit that is proven to work, that means using the parts specified or good alternatives. A battery valve is good to start with but remembering that these are very delicate (regarding filament voltage) and will not take any abuse.

As previously stated, decide which circuit you want to start with and then ask advice here. It's most important that your first attempt is a success.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 3:13 pm   #28
DangerMan
Heptode

I seem to remember a series of articles, with maybe a competition in Radiophile magazine, where the object was to produce a simple radio set using a single valve.

Some of the results were quite inventive, using things such as PCF80 or ECC81 (or similar) and a small low voltage mains transformer for the heater and with voltage multipliers for the HT... also off the heater windings.

Sadly I no longer have any copies but maybe someone here remembers the article/s.

Clearly, the “high” voltages were actually quite low, and the isolation from the mains provided by the transformer was good for safety.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:13 pm   #29
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Schematic for a simple "One valve radio"

Quote:
You didn't say what frequency range you are interested in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radio88 View Post
Any frequency will do: its just the pleasure of building a radio with a valve.
Please excuse me if I state the blindingly obvious, but choice of frequency range is actually quite important. There is no point in building a radio with a frequency coverage in which there are no stations to be heard! For various technical reasons, I would aim at at the medium wave broadcast band only.

Secondly, I would advise that prior to 'jumping in at the deep end', you do a bit of studying of the basics of radio receiver design first. That will give you a good grounding in matters you will certainly need to know for a successful result.

Finally, good luck with this endeavour. Even us time-withered old hands need a bit of luck now & again!

Al.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:22 pm   #30
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio88 View Post
I do have many different transformers ranging from 6v to 36v. They are the ready-built type 240v AC to DC at 2 amps.
A 'transformer' does not convert 240 v.a.c. to anything d.c. A power supply does that task. A transformer converts an a.c. voltage of a given magnitude into another a.c. voltage of a different magnitude, although some do have same input voltage and output voltage.

Al.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:33 pm   #31
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
My view is that when you're beginning, the thing that is most important is that whatever you build actually WORKS! If it doesn't, you'll probably lose interest and might never come back.
Very true: but when the completed project fails to work, use that as an incentive to find out why! Don't just simply give up and pursue something else. Regard that failure in the same light as a pioneer, exploring unknown lands and places. Like so many challenges in Life, persistence, perseverance and patience usually brings benefits. Contrary to what we are often led to believe, education isn't free: it's earnt; you have to work at it.

Al.
Closed Thread