UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2020, 3:26 pm   #1
Vinceclark
Diode

Default KB Rhythm RRP20 sound problems

Hi All
I've just been given a KB Rythm RRP20. It all works as it should, but I can only just hear sound come from the record and not from the speaker.
Can anyone help.
Thanks, Vince
Old 20th Sep 2020, 3:59 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: KB Rhythm RRP20 sound problems

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Type "buzz test" into the Google custom search box at the top of the page.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 5:35 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's just possible that your KB record player still has the original BSR TC8M cartridge and this has failed, especially if the "Buzz" test as above is successful. Fortunately for you, your player has a 2 stage amplifier and so a modern stereo replacement cartridge can still be fitted.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 1:18 pm   #4
Vinceclark
Diode

Hi, thanks for your information very helpful. On looking at the cartridge the wires have come off, could you tell me where the red and black wires go I can't find any info on the net.

Buzz test done and i have a buzz coming from the speaker so i guess I need a new cartridge, any ideas where to buy one at a good price? i've found this one, is this a good price and is it the right one, ebay item number 174412876740.

Thanks, Vince
Old 24th Sep 2020, 11:07 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If your pocket is happy with a mono only cartridge at that price level then it will be fine.

Otherwise look for something like the ubiquitous red'n'black Chinese cheapy with mounting bracket for about 1/3 the price!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Sep 2020, 4:06 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Most of the LPs in your collection are HIGHLY LIKELY to be stereo-pressings, so go get a Stereo-Compatible Mono or a full Stereo cartridge. If you want to try your old cartridge just push back the red and black connectors back on to the cartridge pins. Do not solder to the cartridge. Whilst we have no photos from you, if the cartridge now fitted is the original, it is NOT suitable for Stereo LP's. I can see that the cartridge you have referenced from eBay is a direct replacement for this, so again this is not suitable for your records - unless of course you only specifically collect and wish to play MONO ONLY LP's.