UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:06 pm   #1
juanafati
Triode

Default Stuck platter on a BSR turntable.

Hello everyone,

I have recently adquired a record player which mounts a BSR turntable.
It has a problem: the platter is stucked on the rod where it stands. I have tryed to move it in several ways to the point of making the rod to spin round, which should not happen, without any success.

Has it got any secutity slider, flap or something underneath which I am ignorant of?

I would appreciate any help about a way to get it off with no harm for the turntable.

Thanks in advance and regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plato antiguo reducida.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	215883  

Last edited by juanafati; 17th Sep 2020 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Turn the photo
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:52 pm   #2
al_kaholik
Triode

Default Re: Stuck platter on a BSR turntable.

I had luck today with a similar thing - the centre metal disc pops out - then there is a large c clip underneath. Once that is free it should lift straight off, a bit of heat may be necessary if its not coming freely
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:15 pm   #3
juanafati
Triode

Oh, sorry!
I forgot to say that the metal C-clip was out in all the attempts. But the platter gets "stubbornly glued" to the shaft/rod.

Thank you al_kaholik
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:45 pm   #4
Ekcoman
Heptode

Apply heat to the centre spindle shaft. Can use a soldering iron or very carefully a small chef's gas torch. Every now then see if any movement. You will need a steady hand and a lot of patience.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 10:54 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

El problema es que la grasa utilizada en su dia en el eje central del plato se vuelve pegajosa. Hay varias maneras de soltarlo. Puedes aplicar aceite fino (de máquina de cosser), dejandolo durante la noche para que se cuele, o aplicarle algo de calor a la parte metálica con un soldador. Esta última técnica requiere cierto cuidado, para no fundir el plato de plástico.

En ambos casos hay que ir dando pequeños movimientos y levantando el plato a la vez.

Tambien tendrás que reubicar el eje que has movido, si no no te irán los automatismos. La parte que sobresale del eje cambiadiscos ha de estar mirando a la parte frontal-izquierda del fonochasis.

Ya nos contarás!

---
The problem here is hardened grease on the platter bearing. You have to ways of loosening it. One is to apply thin oil and leave it overnight. The other, riskier, is apply heat forma soldering iron (not too much so you don't melt the plastic platter). You will also need to move the platter left and right as you lift it up.

Don't forget to reposition the bearing you moved or the auto functions won't work. Let us know how it goes!
Old 17th Sep 2020, 11:08 pm   #6
kirstyd
Heptode

i usually get them off by using gentle heat from a hair dryer while gently twisting and pulling
Old 18th Sep 2020, 5:37 pm   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
The problem here is hardened grease on the platter bearing. You have to ways of loosening it. One is to apply thin oil and leave it overnight. The other, riskier, is apply heat forma soldering iron (not too much so you don't melt the plastic platter). You will also need to move the platter left and right as you lift it up.

Don't forget to reposition the bearing you moved or the auto functions won't work. Let us know how it goes!
I made the mistake of using a penetrant like Liquid Wrench. That product is not friendly to plastics, it started to melt the plastic platter.
I was lucky, it didn't destroy it completely.
Dave, USradcoll1. Always trying!
Old 18th Sep 2020, 7:11 pm   #8
juanafati
Triode

Hi all.

Finally, I got it.

As I commented, I had tryed several techniques separately. None of them was succesfull.
I will mention all of them, in case someone happens to face a case like mine, in order not to loose hope:
- By heating the central rod with a soldering iron. Negative result.
- By spraying wd40 around the rod in some occasions and waiting for a couple of hours. Then trying to loose the platter. Negative result.
- As a final and last drastical resource, by forcing the platter to twist while I maintained the central rod still with a quite big flat screwdriver inserted in the upper groove of it. I dammaged/deformed the groove a bit. (A pity). Negative result.

After I wrote this message for help, I got shocked because those ways have been successful for you, but no for me. So I decided to carry out the two first ones toguether.

First, I introduced some wedges under the rim of the platter to force it a bit upwards.
Later, I sprayed wd40 around the rod in some occasions and waited for about one day.
Finally, I heated the inside of the rod more thoroughly than the previous time.

As a result, the platter moved by itself upwards, thanks to the pressure of the wedges were making. Then, I could twist it. With some stickiness at the beginning, but loosely after a few movements.

Now I have to smooth the deformation of the edges of the rod groove I caused in my last rugh attempt, because the platter can not be pulled out completely.
I will clean the WD40, degrease all the moving pieces and grease them again.

Any advice on the type of grease to use?

Thanks to everyone for your tips.

Regards.
Closed Thread