UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2020, 8:15 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Bal Ami Junior Jukebox

I am considering the purchase of a Bal Ami Junior Jukebox and need to know any points/parts that I should look for, when viewing it that could cause problems or might be impossible to obtain.
Mike.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 8:52 pm   #2
dalgwcobl
Pentode

Default Re: Bal Ami Junior Jukebox

Hi Mike
I have a Junior40 which I bought about 40 years ago as a restoration project. I have since moved twice and it's still not finished!
As you will know, the cabinet is simple plywood; it was painted originally with 'Portaflek' paint, as used for years in public toilets! It has a base colour (I only know of brown or red), with flecks of several different colours splashed onto it. I don't know if that finish is reproduceable now.
If you go on the 'interweb', there are photos of Junior 40s to work from.
My machine came from a container load from Malta, where it had been used and abused. Most of the glass is either broken or missing, though as it's all flat sheet it should be simple to replace. The mechanism is simple enough, though I have yet to get the selector section working as there is a loom connecting each of the forty selector buttons to the solenoid which lifts the selector pin for each record and I suspect it needs re-wiring.
The amplifier/power supply was repaired/restored by my late father years ago, so I expect I'll need to go over it again when the time comes. I had to have a piece made by an engineer friend to repair the arm which picks up each record and then flips it for side A or B before placing it on the turntable; I can't remember exactly where it had broken, but it would not clamp the record to pick it up. I believe this is not unusual.
The original pickup cartridge is a General Electric mono magnetic; I replaced the stylus in mine but it was pretty dire. I put a modern Philips magnetic stereo cartridge in, wired for mono, and it works well with enough output for the amplifier. The tracking weight adjustment is minimal, but an acquaintance at Philips told me that the pickup tracks OK with the nosepiece of the cartridge resting on the record, without destroying the stylus cantilever! It certainly worked OK when I last tried it. One of the later Chinese magnetics may well do the job these days.
The only other area I haven't looked at et is the coin mech and credit unit. How complete is your machine? I think most of the AMI mech parts should be obtainable from one of the jukebox guys, but the amplifier/power supply (made by Beam-Echo) and, the rest were made by Balfour Engineering, which must be long gone.
My intention is to go back to restoring my machine this winter. If you want to chat and/or compare notes, do get in touch. I do have a manual for it somewhere too.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 8:29 am   #3
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: Bal Ami Junior Jukebox

Hi, I have not got the jukebox yet, but all your points are interesting.
I am trying to get as much info of these before purchase. The other contenders are the G80 and I think there might be one in between the two models.
I take it that the mechanism was US made and the rest, including amplifier,made by Beam Echo, British.
Are the selector motors 110 volt or less ?
Mike.
Closed Thread