UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2018, 11:12 pm   #61
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: 'Proper' multimeter (Maplin MT2017)

I've checked mine on resistance, they checked out fine. I've checked low volts and current and they're fine.

When I get back to work I can put them across some 600vdc, 1000vdc, 400vac and 1000vac if I'm feeling confident with them.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 11:23 pm   #62
stuarth
Heptode

If this meter, or any other, has a deflection which seems totally erratic, it may be static build up on the transparent window (plastic or glass). Try breathing on the window, or wiping it with anti static solution.

Stuart
Old 24th Mar 2018, 7:35 am   #63
MrBungle
Dekatron

Blob of washing up liquid works well too.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 7:31 pm   #64
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
For anyone fortunate enough to be receiving their MT2017 meters, I suggest you fit some batteries and check them. I received 2X MT2017 today, fortunately one or the two appears to be working fine.

The second meter is not working properly - resistance scale cannot be zero'ed, and the meter 'returns' to wherever it feels like, but not 0 (or infinite for the resistance scale). Before anyone suggests the batteries, the EXACT same batteries are working perfectly with the other meter.

No great financial loss, but annoying none the less. Waiting to hear from Maplin...
I fitted some batteries to my newly acquired meter and it all works fine. The new design makes it much easier to fit the batteries.

I've now removed the batteries from the meter as a precaution against corrosion, put it back in its box and stored it away in a drawer until if/when I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
My second one arrived yesterday. For any inexperienced readers of this forum l would recommend that you reduce the risk of causing a short circuit by shielding the majority of the metal tip until only the last couple of millimeters is visible, as in the lower probe.

The right-hand set of probes is supplied with the meter, the ones on the left-hand side cost more than £25.00 but as I'm holding one of them when measuring voltages l think it's a good investment.

A good way to do this is to take the supplied probe protector and file it back and taper it.

I agree that shrouding the probes is a good idea. I generally use earth sleeving for this purpose.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 8:05 pm   #65
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Called in for mine today - cant say I really needed one, but at £7.00, an impulse buy.

Handed the assistant the paperwork and he came back from the storeroom with a plain white box. It felt rather light, so I opened it there and then and a good job too. It was an anemometer. I said 'that's not the correct item' and the lad said 'Oh I just saw 'Meter' and thought that was the right thing'. I explained that it's a MULTI-meter, so he went back to the storeroom, and was very pleased with himself when he returned and exclaimed "I've found it!" You'd have thought he'd found the holy grail!

Nice kid, probably just doing a Saturday job, so what the heck.

I did buy some sheets of FR4 single-sided PCB sheets knocked down fro £7.99 to £2.99.

Yes, those probe tips are an accident waiting to happen if poking around noval or B7G valves bases. So easy to short out the tags.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 10:38 pm   #66
Goldie99
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
If this meter, or any other, has a deflection which seems totally erratic, it may be static build up on the transparent window (plastic or glass). Try breathing on the window, or wiping it with anti static solution. Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Blob of washing up liquid works well too.
Thanks guys - unfortunately it didn't help. Resistance scale still can't be zero'ed with the probes shorted, and the needle is not returning to '0' when the probes are separated, unless I physically 'tap' the meter several times, then it'll drop back to '0'.

Took a look at the internals, but no obvious problems, so I suspect the meter itself may be damaged.
Closed Thread