UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2007, 10:34 pm   #1
WeeGary
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hi all... (Philips 4307 again...)

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for such a long first post.
I am a new member here but this site has already been a god send to me!
You see, I have a Philips 4307 open reel tape recorder. It was handed down to me, through the family, and I just love it!
It lasted YEARS, without a single service or repair!!! However, in 1998, the belts went, just like that!
Don't worry, it's not another belt set request!!! I sought out belt kits, and it was this very site that led me to the Tape Recorder Centre in Blackpool only around a year ago. I had other things to do and couldn't get round to it before but I phoned Mr Braddock at the Tape Recorder Centre today and said that, "I need a belt set for an old Philips tape recor...", and before I could even finish he said, "ahh, a 4307"! o.O I asked how he knew and he explained... I was astounded that sooo many people have this particular recorder, let alone need belts for it.

So... I can get the belts, that's no problem. I am ordering them tomorrow, but... I made a stupid mistake. When I opened the machine to diagnose it all those years ago I didn't take note of where I put the screws that used to hold it together. Now, you've probably realised, by now, that despite being a professional musician, I am not up on all things mechanical. Are the screws for the Philips 4307 standard? Are they readily available?
I also need other spare parts that were missing when I received the machine originally. The logo strip from the front of the lid, the spring from one of the lid latches and the surround for the tape transport buttons in broken.

Are any of these parts still available?

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help. Again, sorry for such a long post.
Old 10th Aug 2007, 11:40 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Hi all... (Philips 4307 again...)

Seems a clear and concise post to me. I can't help but someone will.
Possibly Peter, Bexhill's r to r man. Dave
Old 12th Aug 2007, 6:07 pm   #3
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Hello, the best way to deal with this is to buy a second machine and make yours better, there you will have a complete machine to see where the parts came from, a supply of screws and missing metal parts (Be very careful taking things like the metal trims off other machines, the last thing you want to do is bend or dent it).

I cannot see anything on Ebay about this machine apart from a repair kit, if it tells you how to put it back together I do not know

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Repair-Kit-Phi...QQcmdZViewItem

These are common machines and they do come up often for sale, usually broken which is a good thing for you as you would only want the second one to use for spares.
Old 16th Aug 2007, 2:40 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGary View Post
I didn't take note of where I put the screws that used to hold it together. Now, you've probably realised, by now, that despite being a professional musician, I am not up on all things mechanical. Are the screws for the Philips 4307 standard? Are they readily available?
I also need other spare parts that were missing when I received the machine originally. The logo strip from the front of the lid, the spring from one of the lid latches and the surround for the tape transport buttons in broken.

to be honest, thse are minor things (lid logos etc, arent exactly vital to the operation of the deck ) and i wouldn't worry about needing a second deck to search for spares.As regard reassembly, best idea would be to try a few threaded screws from a junk box or of other scrap equipment of freecycle etc-

Ben

Last edited by Station X; 16th Aug 2007 at 7:32 am. Reason: Quote fixed.
Closed Thread