UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2007, 2:44 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Ferguson 3224 Mains Transformer

Obtained this item ex-equipment but the vendor had mislaid the vital details of which tags were which. There are two tags on one side of the bobbin and four on the other. The solitary pair are the primary I suppose. Which of the four are the LT and HT.
Does anyone have the details of the valve complement of the tape recorder so I can figure out the LT load?
Old 9th Aug 2007, 5:38 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3224 Mains Transformer

Hi Neil, apply about 2volts AC to the thickest leads and take readings on the others with a voltmeter. If it was a 6.3v heater you will get about 100V out of the 2 other windings. It should allow identification.

Ed
Old 9th Aug 2007, 6:23 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Neil. You should be able to work out the windings from the DC resistance of the windings. As you say, the separate ones are probably primary so they will have a resistance of the order of 30 - 60 odd ohms. The 6.3v secondary winding will have fairly thick wire and a reading of typically less than an ohm. The HT secondary is wound with thinner wire and will have a resistance of around 250 to 400 ohms. These figures are not exact of course and are only there to give a guide as to the sort of resistances you can expect.

Tip. Don't hold both meter clips (at least not the un-insulated part) with your fingers while testing the windings. If you do, when you disconnect the leads you can get a shock because of the back EMF from the transformer winding. The collapsing field can generate enough to make you jump .

Rich.
Old 10th Aug 2007, 7:46 am   #4
Neil Purling
Nonode

I am going to test this with my lamp limiter & 15 watt bulb (in the event I get the connections wrong). I assume the 15 watt bulb will be better here in preventing excessive current flow.
I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10th Aug 2007, 1:31 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

The primary connections were right. I get 250V HT and 7.2V LT, off-load of course.
This creature is for my 3 valve kit radio. I have estimated the heater chain to be of the order of 1.4A with what I have managed to find on the valves. This sound about right to you?
Closed Thread