UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:23 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile 'The Beast!' Textronix RM502A

Hi,
A friend of ours travelled down from the Netherlands and presented me with an old oscilloscope that was destined for the scrap.
I was very pleased to have it (my mrs. is delighted!), but what I didn't expect was this monster of an instrument!
It's a beautifully built Textronix RM502A dual beam 'scope. US in origin and connected for 220 volts with a NEMA 5-15 inlet. I wondered why it had a large fan on the back, and found out when I took the covers off. It sports 39 valves, no less! So, might be a good workshop heater.
Not had a chance to power it up yet, but if your street lights go dim, you'll know why.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big scope 2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	237539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big scope 4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	237540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big scope 3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	237541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big scope 5.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	237542  
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:16 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: 'The Beast!' Textronix RM502A

That is in really nice condition, and well worth saving. The 502A is listed in the 1963 catalogue and was $1050. The RM502A is listed in the 1964 catalogue and was $1150 ($25,000 in today's money).

Maximum sensitivity is 100uV/div albeit at 50kHz bandwidth. So think of it primarily as a sensitive and useful audio frequency oscilloscope.

The user and service manual can be found easily on line.

Craig
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:32 pm   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Just spotted that this is a true dual beam oscilloscope. The CRT has two guns and vertical deflection systems. There is a single horizontal deflection system and one timebase. So the number of display selections is limited to the vertical amps only.

Just as well. The much later 7844 had two entirely independent guns and deflection systems in the same CRT. With two timebases and two vertical amps, there are at least 16 different selectable displays. You really have to keep your wits about you with that one.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 12th Jul 2021 at 12:38 pm.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 10:27 pm   #4
John_BS
Octode

Run it up first on a Variac to reform the main HT smoothing caps.

Enjoy!

John
Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:55 pm   #5
joebog1
Banned

You really have to keep your wits about you with that one.

Craig

Ill put 100 quid on that comment!! I bet its 50 times easier and simpler to operate than my entry level digital scope

Joe
Old 15th Jul 2021, 6:15 am   #6
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi

What a strange position to put the CRT. I know it's rack mount but did they anticipate such a tall rack that the screen would need to be lower?

I looked through the Wiki pages for no reason at all and found another of the little characters that Tektronix liked to put on the circuit diagrams. So nice to have a really professional company show that there is a place for humour!

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-07-15_06-06-05.png
Views:	148
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	237675  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:26 am   #7
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 'The Beast!' Textronix RM502A

Hi,
I thought it odd too that the tube was low down. When my friend sent me a photo of what to expect when he arrived, I thought he'd posted it upside down!
It has swivel brackets on each side which, I presume, allows it to be tilted when it is trolley mounted. And it needs a trolley, it's a heavy lump!
Love the little character, but couldn't find him inside the case!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 10:08 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Hi

What a strange position to put the CRT. I know it's rack mount but did they anticipate such a tall rack that the screen would need to be lower?

I looked through the Wiki pages for no reason at all and found another of the little characters that Tektronix liked to put on the circuit diagrams. So nice to have a really professional company show that there is a place for humour!

Cheers
James
Yeah - there are a whole bunch of them from that era. That the schematic draughtsman(probably man) was allowed to get away with that is testimony to the positive management ethos of Tektronix in the 1960's.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Tektronix_Cartoons

Craig
Old 15th Jul 2021, 10:14 am   #9
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

That doesn't count the ones that they put on the circuit boards!
Old 15th Jul 2021, 1:08 pm   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

I have a hunch that "unknown (Pilot Light)" is from the 1481R TV waveform monitor, but wouldn't swear to it.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 1:28 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

There probably was much laughter in Beaverton from the thought that every time someone came across a photo of it, they'd think it was upside down.

David
Old 15th Jul 2021, 8:37 pm   #12
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Craig, loads of stuff there I have not seen before, but I am sure I recall a spider hanging down off the end of a circuit rail, not in that list.
Or was it somewhere else?
Les.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:11 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

That rings a bell here too Les, but I'm darned if I can remember which Tek device it was!

Colin
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:39 pm   #14
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There probably was much laughter in Beaverton from the thought that every time someone came across a photo of it, they'd think it was upside down.

David
It does look very odd, but looking at the internal pictures & comparing them to my 502A it's clear they rotated the standard scope by 90 degrees.

Name:	SAM_0407a.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	237753

Mine is in quite poor condition, several valves & the neon ref tube had gone to air through storage in a damp environment, the intensity pot had been snapped off inside too, the only suitable replacement I had was a slightly higher value part I found in my HP spares.

Last time I worked on it the trigger failed, seem to remember changing a failed diode twice, then the 2N2043 transistor died, still haven't got back to that one.
Hopefully I'll sort it one day, also it is the only CRO here with a dual-beam CRT.

David

Last edited by factory; 15th Jul 2021 at 9:46 pm.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 10:58 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

In the manufacturing dyeline master for one board of an HP product (said quietly, the manager of that product may be listening...) I had a 8 bit latch wired as 8 delays of a single bit line, so the schematic looked like a square spiral around the latch. There is a spider hanging off a bit of line from one bottom corner, labelled 'Boris the spider's delay line', of course. Must be 35 years ago.

David
Old 9th Aug 2021, 10:07 am   #16
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Smile Re: 'The Beast!' Textronix RM502A

Hi,
Well, I had a bit of time spare over the weekend (quelle surprise!) so I thought I'd fire up the 'Beast'.
I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos of the myriad valves glowing merrily within. (I didn't get a shot of the electric meter spinning like a top, alas.)
One small round white component was puzzling me, and I thought that maybe it was some sort of inductor. I finally realised what it was. Can you?
One little thing that surprised me was that, considering it's built like the proverbial masonry outhouse, there are no valve retaining clips fitted. Maybe they're not needed due to the high quality valve holders.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big scope 7.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	239116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	239117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	239118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	239119  
Old 9th Aug 2021, 10:16 am   #17
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Silver solder supplied with scopes of that vintage?
Old 9th Aug 2021, 10:32 am   #18
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Great looking trace by the way.
Old 9th Aug 2021, 10:17 pm   #19
karesz*
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG3XYV View Post
Silver solder supplied with scopes of that vintage?
Yes. Its important to use it at solderings on the ceramic component holders!
You have to use a low temp-solder type because the ceramics have sensitive silver metalisings as solder pads and they dont withstand for higher temp as usual for typical solders...
Old 10th Aug 2021, 4:22 am   #20
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I thought that silver-loaded solder had a higher melting point than normal lead/tin solder. In any case there was no recomendation to use a lower temperature iron when working on Tektronix 'scopes.

The problem according to the manual was that the silver plating is soluble in molten solder so if you use the normal stuff you can remove the plating. Having a little silver in the solder already prevents this. It's the same with some modern SMD parts, again you use a silver-loaded solder (I have a reel I bought for SMD use, I also use it in my Tekky 555)
Closed Thread