UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2021, 7:21 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Wrench stand

Bought quite a few years ago, my Workzone Hex and Torx wrench set came in an fold-open plastic case. Initially I fixed this to the wall of my workshop so that the wrenches could easily be identified and accessible for use. However, they were a tight, interference fit in the plastic case and not at all easy to remove or even put back. The result being that I tended not to put them back and they ended up all over the place and as is always the case, hard to locate whenever I needed them. Time to make a holder/stand.

The base is just a simple slab of pine with holes drilled in it, and the handle is made from a piece of ash. The upright is a length of chrome plated brass tubing that I bought ages ago from a DIY store. I drilled holes in the ends of the brass tubing so that the Araldite used to glue it in place could get a good 'through' purchase on it. I've applied about six coats of Wilko quick dry gloss varnish, rubbing down between coats and finished of with very fine wire wool for a matt finish. It was a nice little project to undertake and I now have all my wrenches in one place and easy to get at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210630_185235.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	236826   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210630_185243.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	236827   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210630_185521.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	236828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210629_155626.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	236829  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 8:20 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Default Re: Wrench stand

I wish I could be that organised- it will never happen though!
Nice job.
Old 30th Jun 2021, 9:07 pm   #3

I just leave tools around the workshop (my memory still works so I know where they where) and it is a mess. It is, for me, the messy mode or hire someone to clean and organise daily, well I can dream...

Old 1st Jul 2021, 10:27 am   #4
Wendymott
Octode

My workshops are like Steve's.. a place for everything and everything in its place...As the metal bashing room is next to the Electroniky bit.. I vac the bench and floor if I have been making mess... every night... Ooooopps my halo needs polishing LOL. Nothing worse.. to me.. than seeing ally swarf on the kitchen carpet...

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Jul 2021, 10:54 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Actually, if I'm giving the impression that my workshop is a case of tidiness personified, I'm afraid it's not (yet). It is constantly in a state of trying to achieve that, and I am getting there.. slowly...

At the rate I'm going I think I will have achieved true workshop tidiness and organisation when I'm about to pop my clogs. Oh well, at least the people getting rid of my stuff will have an easier job!
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 2:27 pm   #6
avocollector
Heptode

Tidiness?? - like second nature to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	236985  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 3:54 pm   #7
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

My bench is usually untidy but I am always looking at new ways to avoid clutter and mess.

When it comes to tool storage I try and go for the most compact solution possible and I try to avoid storing tools on the main bench as I see tools as 'clutter' unless they are not in immediate use. This means I have to try and put the tools away when I've finished with them and each tool or set of tools has an efficient storage box either in a drawer or a cupboard.

The only exception are my 'favourites' and these are the hand tools I use the most and this includes cutters, pliers, scissors, desolder pump and various screwdrivers. These tools live in a 1" deep (non-stick coated) baking tray that lives on a pullout keyboard tray under a desk. I can either move the whole baking tray to the bench or just take the tools I need from it for a given task. I find that I rarely need to move the whole tray to the bench.
Apart from soldering irons, the only hand tools that tend to stay on my workbench (nearly) all the time are SMD tweezers, a scalpel and a classic 'helping hands' that lives by one of the soldering irons. Everything else gets put away out of sight when not in use. This also means no visible tool racks, no unsightly wall storage and no component storage bins are allowed anywhere in the main workroom. This keeps it less cluttered as long as I keep putting everything back in its place once finished with. That's the really difficult bit and I do sometimes have to spend a while tidying up to reclaim the space.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 7:56 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
This also means no visible tool racks, no unsightly wall storage and no component storage bins are allowed anywhere in the main workroom.
Hmm. Each to their own. I like to have everything at, or near to hand. So my workshop contains all that I need to undertake the work that I do there, that's tools and components. Far from being unsightly, I view my wall mounted and neatly labeled component storage to be an illustration of tidiness and efficiency. I can't work in a sterile, 'bare' work environment, I need my tools and components at hand. I had enough of that previously when my workshop was outside of the house, but my components were in the house, so every time I needed a component I had to traipse off to the house etc etc.
Old 14th Jul 2021, 1:17 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Two weeks down the line and I can report that my wrenches are much more easily located now. My wrench stand works!