UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2021, 8:31 pm   #1
brownw10
Diode

Default Bruel & Kjaer 2206 Disassembly

Hello Everyone !

I have a B&K 2206 Sound Level Meter which I'm trying to disassemble to fix a fault.

I've reached the stage in the service manual where it blandly says 'remove the green front case of the instrument' - but I can't - it appears to be snagging on the output socket on the left hand side.

Is there a trick to this that I'm mising ?

Thanks !!

W.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 9:13 am   #2
pbengtech
Pentode

Default Re: Bruel & Kjaer 2206 Disassembly

Hi W,
It’s a shame no one has been able to help.
I have not replied till now as I was unsure as to the model of My B&K sound meter, and it turns out to be a 2203 so I cannot be much help.
Have you made any progress in the meantime?
Regards,
Phil b
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 11:11 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Welcome to the forum, but the deafening silence probably means that nobody here knows. Although it can take a week or two before the majority of the active members have logged in and had a look.

B&K stuff is far too nice to risk damaging.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:50 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

Hi W.

I'm an informal collector of B&K instruments: as you've already found, I don't think there are very many of us on this forum. I do sympathise with your problem. My own experience suggests that Messrs Bruel & Kjaer had such confidence in their own design and manufacturing quality that they didn't feel the need to give thought to ease of servicing and repair.

Your post has prompted me to dig out a less than pristine (but working) 2206 meter from my own B&K collection. It's a neat little instrument, as shown in photo 1. Its spec is straightforward, with just A & C weighting, plus linear. However, despite its compact design, its measurement ranges suggest a 'grown up' ability to measure a wide range of sound levels from 20dB to 130dB.

I've had a go at dismantling my 2206, first unscrewing the microphone connector to expose the two small screws that release the green case (photo 2). The case then can be pulled off with a bit of wiggling and persuasion. Photo 3 shows it on the point of pulling past the coax connector which I think is what's presenting you with a problem. Is your connector protruding more than mine? I can but give you encouragement to keep on persuading the case to pass the socket. Mine does.

Best of luck,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. B&K 2206 SLM.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	230842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. B&K 2206 SLM mic connector & case fixing screws.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	230843   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. B&K 2206 SLM  case sliding past connector.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	230844  
Old 14th May 2021, 8:38 pm   #5
brownw10
Diode

Hello all.

Thanks for the replies - I should have thanked you earlier but had a bit of a 'domestic energency' that got in the way of a mere 'hobby' ...

Anyway - the cover did cone off - a slip of card around the socket helped ease the case over it.

Beautifully made inside but not the easiest to work on - I had a service manual but it was a little unreadable in places ... but that's part of the challenge.

Anyway, checked the various voltages and found an electrolytic had dead shorted pulling a supply rail down - not too surprised and it only goes to show they can fail even if they (presumably) haven't had too many hours on them. I replaced all 3 in the meter itself - the others are all tants and polystyrene so I left them alone - and it at least got the needle moving but rather erratically.

So, I dissembled the preamp nose section and found a 4th electrolytic that looked like it was leaking slightly - there was a slight bit of corrosion where it touched inside of the case.

Replaced that - and it all came good !

Thanks again to all who replied !!

W.

Just to add.

Martin - yes - that was exactly the problem. I really didn't want to even scratch the paint around the connector but, as I said, a small piece of card helped slip the case over.

David - yes - I was extremely careful when dismantling it - towel on the table, screws etc in small plastic tubs, and a little bit of thought before I did anything. I can understand why they're so expensive even now - it is beautifully built.

The final 'fix' was to give the case a going over with leather cleaner and light tan boot polish - I'll post a few pics when I have a chance !!
Old 20th Jun 2021, 8:17 pm   #6
whorfin
Diode

Greetings W.

I have a 2205 which appears to have a dead power supply.
Are you able to post your service manual?

Cheers
Old 20th Jun 2021, 11:12 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Any help?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...jaer-2203.html

Chris Williams
Old 21st Jun 2021, 6:01 pm   #8
whorfin
Diode

Chris:

Thanks for the help
I have the 2203 and 2209 service manuals but they really only help in a general way
Layout, board configuration and even input voltages are quite different for the 2205/2206, so i’m really looking for that particular service manual, which the wonderful Manualslib does not seem to have

Cheers
Old 21st Jun 2021, 9:14 pm   #9
WME_bill
Octode

B & K 2205 and 2206.
Have you tried a search on this forum. It is quite surprising how much information is here already.
I see I posted the circuit of these models in Sept 2011, with the offer of the manual. Not needed at the time, but I believe I have given it to someone since who had done a search. Perhaps this Forum is more wonderful than you realised. It is here for the asking.
wme_bill.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 2:55 pm   #10
Jez1234
Banned

Dodgy Frako brand electrolytics worth checking out in B & K gear.
Closed Thread