UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2020, 7:28 pm   #61
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Uher 4000 Report Monitor Amplifier Component Layout

Many thanks Uncle Bulgaria.

Your data sheet clearly shows that the pin out view is from the top of the device, which agrees with what I was expecting.

I subsequently found an older (1986) Siliconix Data book where the data sheet for the J176 (still no E176 listed) clearly shows that their view of the pin out is from the bottom of the device, once this agrees with what I was expecting.

The original Philips data sheet for the J176 that I was looking at, does not show at all if their pin out view is from the top or the bottom. I thought most likely it was a bottom view, if it had been a bottom view then that meant the source and drain pins would have been transposed over to what I was expecting.

Both of the correct pin out Siliconix J176 data sheets shows the 3 pins in a straight line, which is different to the actual E176.

So am now happy that have correct pin out information but have still asked the seller if he has a data sheet, just to see what he has, maybe he will have the elusive E176 sheet
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 9:32 pm   #62
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Replaced FET T19 and it fixed both the Tape & and the Source monitoring issues, very pleasantly surprised as was expecting to have to also change T20.

So now (at long last) will hand back the Uher 4000 Report Monitor to my friend (the owner), so that he can give it a good test to then decide if he is happy to keep it as it is with the noisy drive, or whether to risk getting an NOS Drive Wheel in the hope that it will improve the noise level or whether to trade it on.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 7:32 pm   #63
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Great! I hope he's pleased with it after all the effort you've been to.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 9:28 pm   #64
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Handing it back tomorrow, yes hope he is happy.
Old 8th Feb 2020, 2:57 pm   #65
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The 4000 has been returned to its owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200207_230915803.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	198620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200208_074246889.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	198621  
Old 12th Feb 2020, 10:44 pm   #66
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The owner is happy with the mechanical noise level, I am pleasantly surprised.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 9:02 pm   #67
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well the good news did not last long, my friend is reporting that it is no longer recording and he is having problems with play mechanically not working !!!!!
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 12:00 pm   #68
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

At least mechanical things can be easily observed and I believe the manual includes 'bend tab C' type instructions for linkage problems!

Having spent an age and visited many dead ends, including setting the board on fire, with my CR 240 the satisfaction when it does work is all the better.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 5:08 pm   #69
DMcMahon
Dekatron

As I referenced I think in an earlier post, I found that tab C adjustment hit and miss, plus it looks like if it is messed around with too much it will snap off.

Expecting my friend to deliver the 4000 over the next few days so that I can have another look at it and at the same time will hand back his Uher Royal de Luxe, hopefully that repair will last longer.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 12:50 pm   #70
DMcMahon
Dekatron

It is now back with me. A quick check on it not mechanically playing (on all 4 speeds) is that it will play OK if the tension arm is pushed to the right.

A quick check on the not recording issue is that the VU meter is responding well to the record signal but there is no apparent playback sound.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 12:56 pm   #71
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I bet something loose didn't show up when you tested it, but has been discovered through transport and quickly operating all the controls. After what you've fixed, tracing the playback and adjusting the tension sounds like child's play!

Does it have any of the on-board board edge-plugs like the CR 240 or is it soldered boards like the Report-L? I'd look at simple things like those connections first, as they caused me no end of hair-pulling.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:15 pm   #72
DMcMahon
Dekatron

No edge connectors, all soldered connections.

I hope it is going to be child's play but have a feeling it may not be.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:17 pm   #73
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

The positive is that it's not intermittent, so if you can resist the frustration of it coming straight back it should be traceable and it won't return under normal use once it's sorted. We're rooting for you!
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:11 pm   #74
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Possibly have a lead on it not recording. The little toggle spring arm on the Playback/Record switch has come out at one end (in Post 31 it was missing altogether).

So the switch is stuck in one position, playback I hope. Will refit the end of the spring toggle back into the switch and check the slotted adjustment for the switch in case there is too much force on the switch actuation. As belt and braces may have to super glue the toggle in place, so that it does not come out again.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:28 pm   #75
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
At least mechanical things can be easily observed and I believe the manual includes 'bend tab C' type instructions for linkage problems!

Having spent an age and visited many dead ends, including setting the board on fire, with my CR 240 the satisfaction when it does work is all the better.
Now realise that I have not adjusted or even looked at "Tab C" before, it was "Flap C" that I have adjusted before as referenced in the Uher 4000 Report Monitor Noisy thread.

So I need to look at the Tab C adjustment procedure to see if relevant to it not mechanically paying.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 3:49 pm   #76
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Possibly have a lead on it not recording. The little toggle spring arm on the Playback/Record switch has come out at one end (in Post 31 it was missing altogether).

So the switch is stuck in one position, playback I hope. Will refit the end of the spring toggle back into the switch and check the slotted adjustment for the switch in case there is too much force on the switch actuation. As belt and braces may have to super glue the toggle in place, so that it does not come out again.
Made a mistake the switch is not the Playback/Record switch, it is the Start switch K2 !
Old 4th Mar 2020, 5:27 pm   #77
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Found that had no sound in Playback. Re-instated the toggle spring arm into the Start switch and playback sound now working. I am wondering and hoping that the reported fault of not recording was just due to there being no playback.

Even though now get playback sound the playback speed is very erratic, hard to tell for sure but the speed of the flywheel and driving wheel do not look erratic, maybe the speed variation is due to the clutching and that is why to get to play at all you have to press the tension arm to the right.

I have been trying to see what the tension arm mechanically actually does but very difficult to see anything without a big strip down.

I am sure I saw "Tab C" referenced earlier in the Service manual in the clutch set-up section but now cannot see it, there is a reference to "Adjustment lug (C)" in the clutch section, so currently confused if there is a "Tab C" adjustment or whether it is the "Flap C" adjustment that I originally thought it was.

It is strange as I never saw this particular issue before all the time I worked on it ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toggle spring arm disconnected one end.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	200222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toggle spring refitted.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	200223  
Old 4th Mar 2020, 10:13 pm   #78
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Scratching my head a bit at the moment with the mechanical not playing issue. With the top plate removed I can see that there is a metal tension/brake cord (to give it a name) around the Supply spool reel table. The cord is connected to the tension arm so this is why pushing the tension arm allows it to play.

I cannot see any way that the Play mechanism can affect the cord position, RWD does move the tension arm and release the tension. Even though pushing the arm gets Play to work the speed is too high and erratic, difficult to tell if any difference in the 4 tape speeds when the tension lever is pushed and tape then plays.

With the tension lever not pushed I can see that the Take Up Reel Table bottom section is being driven when Play is selected, but the top hub section is slipping, whether this is due to the Tape Up reel table clutch being too weak or the Supply reel table clutch being too strong or the tension/brake cord not releasing I am very unsure at the moment.

RWD & FFD appear to work normally so am thinking that the clutches are OK probably. I will try and later check the clutch setups but generally find the spring balance method of measuring clutch tensions somewhat subjective and hit and miss in terms of measured results.

Presently trying to understand the Control Lever explanation in Fig 7 of the Service manual as referenced in the 3.1.1.3 Left hand clutch procedure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200304_205034309.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	200262  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 10:04 pm   #79
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The 4000 is heavy on batteries and I have been trying to use it on rechargeable batteries which last even shorter time (do not have a suitable AC/DC adaptor).

So am going to see if it will run off an old DC power supply I have, it only goes up to 500mA, so may not be man enough, first I have to wire up the supply wires to a 6 pin DIN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200305_175209572.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	200336  
Old 6th Mar 2020, 9:50 am   #80
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Wired 6 pin DIN to the PSU but could not get the 4000 to power up, volts were fine (so not current limiting) but no current being drawn as if not connected, so will have to press on using batteries. That is frustrating, may look further at this later but do not want to get sidetracked as too many other things to do.
Closed Thread