UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2014, 9:06 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Renewing Clutch 'felts' in AKAI 4000DB

Having been asked if I can repair this large r2r Machine, which has been stored in damp coditions, I discovered that the the 'felt' discs in the feed spool have (surprise, surprise!) deteriorated badly, and presumably those in the T.U. spool have suffered the same fate. What would be a suitable material with which to replace the discs, and, in any case, how does one reassemble the things!? There are tow large-ish diameter circlips which secure the various parts to the shaft. These clips ar a tad larger in diameter to the recesses in which they fit!, an, of course there are springs involved in the assembly.
Old 11th Jun 2014, 10:11 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Renewing Clutch 'felts' in AKAI 4000DB

I have used ordinary thin felt available in craft shops or fabric dept,
of John Lewis ETC
Old 11th Jun 2014, 10:19 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

You may find it easier to remove the entire reel table assembly (3 x nuts/bolts)
Manual available here
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_lib...i/4000db.shtml
Old 11th Jun 2014, 10:52 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

That manual is very useful, and, yes I realise the whole reel assembly can be removed by undoing three screws, but (a) I've already dismantled one reel, and (b) I don't see how the clutch 'felts' can be replaced without dismantling the reel assemblies. Looks like this is going to be 'one of those jobs!!'
Old 11th Jun 2014, 3:59 pm   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

It is a job! but well worth doing, the felt recommended I have used from a craft shop to good affect.
Good luck with the restoration
Gary
Closed Thread