UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2006, 1:37 pm   #1
JOP66
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai Gx 265 D

I have inherited an old reel to reel AKAI tape recorder which seems in great condition but I really have no idea how it works. Can I still get hold of a manual for it? I don't actually have any reels for it either - where can I find these? Do they still make them? I live in South East london if anyone can give me any info. Also, how much are these things worth if they are in working order? Thanks a lot. Jon
Old 13th Apr 2006, 1:38 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai Gx 265 D

Jon, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

PS: I'm the guy who suggested that you post here.
Old 13th Apr 2006, 1:57 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Hi Jon.

Another forum member may have some blank tapes and empty reels to sell to you, or they often crop up on eBay. Open reel tape hasn't been manufactured for domestic use for some time and I'm not sure even professional stuff is made now.

When it comes to value, these 70s Japanese domestic machines do have a market but it's mainly from collectors and nostalgia buyers. Most people interested in sound recording today will use a PC based digital system for live sound, or minidisc / cd recorders / analogue cassettes / hi-fi VCRs for radio recording or CD copying. Typically machines like yours sell for £50-£100 though your London location may help since these things aren't easy to post! There's a GX-210D on eBay at the moment which you may want to keep an eye on: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Akai-GX-210D-A...QQcmdZViewItem

User manuals do find their way onto eBay or they can be ordered as PDF files from a number of internet suppliers. A bit of judicious googling will give you some info. If you're lucky another forum member will have one and can scan it for you.

Good luck, Paul

Last edited by paulsherwin; 13th Apr 2006 at 2:03 pm.
Old 14th Apr 2006, 1:04 pm   #4
sukicat
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOP66
I have inherited an old reel to reel AKAI tape recorder which seems in great condition but I really have no idea how it works. Can I still get hold of a manual for it? I don't actually have any reels for it either - where can I find these? Do they still make them? I live in South East london if anyone can give me any info. Also, how much are these things worth if they are in working order? Thanks a lot. Jon
I have about 6 Reels of Tape you can have they are on 5" reels but will do for testing your Recorder, was just about to bin them ..i live in Eltham ...if interested mail me ...
Old 4th May 2006, 9:23 am   #5
arjoll
Dekatron

I picked up one of these in late 2004, after cleaning switches etc its running nicely. There is a copy of the sevice manual available on-line at http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedec...vice/index.htm, which gives you dissassembly instructions etc. There's no circuit diagram here but I found a local electronic service outfit who are loathe to throw out manuals and had a copy. I don't have an A3 scanner but could scan it in two 'halves' if you like.

As for tape, I have run Quantegy 456 through mine, and it sounds great, but apparently it will cope better with thinner 35 micron (1.0 mil) tape like 407/457 or Maxell 35-90B (out of production for a few years now). Be cautious about any back-coated Ampex or Scotch/3M tape made between the mid 70's and about 1994 - it can develop 'sticky shed' due to a breakdown of the binder and leave nasty gunk all over the tape path. You'll need lots of cotton buds, isopropyl and elbow grease to clean up. Maxell hasn't got the same problem, and I don't think BASF/EMTEC has the issue.

In terms of where to get tape, head over to http://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=21 and search there - there are a heap of really knowledgeable people there who still use analogue recorders on a daily basis and posts on where to buy tape etc are still common.

Quantegy, the last manufacturer of reel to reel tape, did stop making tape for a couple of months last year, but its available again and a couple of other companies are talking about manufacturing as well. A lot of it is high-output recording tape which isn't suited to older decks (equivalent or higher output than Quantegy 499 or GP9), but I think one company was talking about bringing back EMTEC LP35.

Cya
Andrew
Closed Thread