UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2006, 7:52 pm   #1
mieite
Tetrode

Default How do you store your tapes ?

Hi
I have some reel to reel tapes without boxes and do not know how to store them right.
Can I wrap them in plastic or does it harm the tapes or should I make boxes for them ?
Regards
Nisse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kelat.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	3539  
Old 28th Apr 2006, 8:08 pm   #2
roger_a
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: How do you store your tapes ?

This site has some general info

http://www.solinet.net/preservation/...cfm?doc_id=789

Roger
Old 28th Apr 2006, 8:13 pm   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nisse

I'm wary of wrapping things in plastic, there are often fumes released that react with the material being stored.

At the very least, they need to be vertical (reels on edge), and in a dry, cool atmosphere.

Jim.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 10:41 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon
Hi Nisse

I'm wary of wrapping things in plastic, there are often fumes released that react with the material being stored.

At the very least, they need to be vertical (reels on edge), and in a dry, cool atmosphere.

Jim.
Jim is right, avoid plastic as different types can cause some very strange reactions.

Dry well ventilated atmosphere at reasonably constant temperature in cardboard boxes and on edge seems to be the best solution.

Regards,
Old 29th Apr 2006, 12:38 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Freezer bags are good, usually something like 200 for 99p, you can get them large enough to store 7" reels in, also a good idea to place the bags on reels in boxes too. There are a few companies who are still doing boxes, one in England called Protape

www.protape.co.uk

another which I don't know if it's international is Canford Audio

http://www.canford.co.uk

hpe this helps
Old 29th Apr 2006, 1:14 pm   #6
mitajohn
Pentode

Hi Nisse and all,

There are some general rules of magnetic tape storage written in an old EBU document "Tech 3202-E". From there you can find:
Store the tapes in rooms whose temperature does not exeed 28 C (a low temperature limits the appearence of the print-through effect) and whose relative humidity does not fall below 50%. Avoid strong magentic field sources of more than e few Oesterds (800 A/m or 10 Oe at max) in the vicinity of the tape storage area. Precautions to toxic or corrosive gases must also be taken. Store the tapes rewound slowly and back-to-front (in other words, not to rewind them after replay) ; such a precaution limits the risk of tape deformation, reduces the print-through effect and makes possible, moreover, a verification of the mechanical quality when rewinding the tape for further replay. Finally avoid splices which are responsible for much trouble in replay. Tapes last more than 50 years by taking simple precautions, which often are nothing more than common-sense.

John.
Old 29th Apr 2006, 1:37 pm   #7
mieite
Tetrode

Thanks to everyone for the tips on storing tapes.
Freezer bags were on my mind but now I have decided to use cardboard boxes and no plastic.
I have about 40 tapes without boxes so it will take some time for me to make them.
Regards
Nisse
Closed Thread