UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2011, 8:08 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default First 1-inch tape recorder ever made

Hi,

I recently got something quite special: what is considered to be the very first 1-inch tape recorder ever made.
It's a 1949 Telefunken T9 with special 1-inch transport and 4-track heads.
Serial 10001. I have been told that less than 20 ever made.
I would like to restore it and would like to know if any technical data ever existed for this special model and of course, how I could complete the empty head block that I have. I only have the tape machine itself, not the amplifier which must have been just the same as the regular T9.

I will post pictures soon, just forgot to switch the cam off and wait for batteries to charge...
Old 13th Oct 2011, 9:26 pm   #2
david winter
Hexode

Default Re: First 1-inch tape recorder ever made

A quick picture...
And you all saw what's wrong right ? (tape backwards...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t9clean800.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	57335  
Old 14th Oct 2011, 3:40 am   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Amazing to me that 1 inch was already needed at that time, considering that, most machines were full track or atleast 2 track mono.

What are you thinking for amplifiers?

If you want, im sure i could produce the new re-make amplifiers for it. If we could manage to find some good schematics, really nothing new to tackle, like the studer j37 im producing.

Nice find David,
-Chris
Old 14th Oct 2011, 9:37 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

Chris, don't forget that multi-track recording of air traffic communications was a requirement of the new ICAO regulations, formulated towards the end of the war. Brush were already developing 0.7" (nominally 3/4") air traffic recorders in early 1949 as were Thermionic Products in the UK in 1949.

It is possible that this Telefunken was developed as an alternative to those wide belt Dictophones for ATC already in use by the Americans.

And David - did the tape go 'backwards' or 'forwards'?! There was no convention on direction of tape travel, only one on 'upper-track' track formats in the mid 1950s!

Barry
Old 14th Oct 2011, 6:33 pm   #5
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Philips i know made a stereo machine in about 1951, dont think a machine like that was used for air traffic communications, pretty sure it was only studio.
I'm just having a hard time imagining that such a large and detailed machine would have been used just basically for logging.

I heard wire recorders were also in use here for logging, and the 2 inch wide magnetic film recorders, forget the name, sound-something. No rewind on those or fast forward, just record and play, fast winding was done by hand.
Old 15th Oct 2011, 9:51 am   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

Music/studio recording was a relatively late development so carry on having a hard time imagining such massive decks doing logging, for which application multichannel by staggered, inter-laced heads and large diameter (up to 13" or 14" spools for 8-hour recording) predates studio multi-track recorders by quite a margin.

Wire recorders were indeed used for logging during the war, and post war, but were single channel as multiplexes had not yet been perfected. Likewise 35mm film stock was used for embossed long duration recording until the early 1950s, when magnetic tape became be the defacto medium, except in FDRs.

Barry
Old 15th Oct 2011, 2:46 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The tape speed is surely the clincher here - 15 or 30 would suggest studio use, anything slower some kind of logging application. My bet is on the former - four channels per inch sounds a bit profligate for logging, even in the early 50s.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 9:53 am   #8
Stevie342000
Hexode

From the picture correct me if I am wrong but you have the tape threaded up the wrong way.

Currently it looks like the backing is towards the heads.

The feed spool of tape should be on the right hand take up spool, rewound on the feed spool on the left and then used as normal.

If it is/was a logging machine the playing speed will be worth considering.

It may not run at either 15ips or 30ips but slower.

I for one would check out the tape speeds before I went any further with building multi-track electronics.

You need a master and 3 slaves for bias plus booster amps like Ampex did with the 350 when using more than one track.

As for heads try JRF in the USA, they may not be cheap but he (John French) will point you in the right direction.

Steve
Old 21st Oct 2011, 12:58 pm   #9
david winter
Hexode

Hi Steve,

You're correct! Tape should be oxide OUT, not in.
The machine runs both 15ips and 30ips.
Its original setup was 4 tracks and mostly used plug-in amps like those nice and big and heavy Telefunken setups. Actually the guy who sold it to me had the original cabinet but without the amplifiers. It used to have two machines: mine and a same one, which got replaced by a 1/4 inch model (same appearance except for the tape height.
Thanks for your link, will contact the guy when I have more money as my recent purchases of AEG and Lorenz machines cost me all my savings.

Cheers,

David
Closed Thread