UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2011, 11:38 pm   #1
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Philips 2202 cassette recorder

I acquired a Phillips 2202 cassette recorder today. It didn't work but the hiss and motor wirr suggested a snapped belt.

I was nearly right - all of the belts had acquired the consistency of sticky black paint! It took ages to get it all out of the pullies and my hands are a mess. I'll be wearing gloves if I need to go out this week

Anyway, I had a replacement for only one of the belts so I'm missing the smaller belt. But at least it will play (the smaller belt is only responsible for rewind/fast forward).

That revealed another problem: Somebody has stored it in the 'play' position and there is now a groove in the pinch roller. Singers sound like they have hiccups.

I'm not sure I can do anything about that one - any ideas?

At least is kinda works again
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 11:39 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Phillips 2202 cassette recorder

Can you get the capstan off. Try soaking it in oil??

As for the drive belt, can you get the approximate size. If you can, try Maplin.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 4th Oct 2011, 8:18 pm   #3
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

I'm using those little horse mane elastics to replace the smaller belts of Philips cassette machines... you can get a bag with dozens of them in any tack shop for a few pounds...

Please buy the black ones only, they are much more likely to be made of durable synthetic rubber while coloured ones are often made of latex which usually rots in a few years.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:18 am   #4
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Thanks both - good suggestions.

Steve, what sort of oil did you have in mind? Would baby oil do? Maybe I should surround it with rocks and candles to help relax it

I'll try the horse main elastic idea!
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:24 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

The usual fix for rubber rollers is to boil them up in a saucepan of water for a good 30 - 40 minutes, topping up from the kettle as required. I'd try that before letting oil anywhere near rubber.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 7:27 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

I agree, I have also had good results from boiling drive belts.

Mark
Old 6th Oct 2011, 12:18 pm   #7
P.Pilcher
Pentode

I would strongly advise never to get any oil on rubber rollers. The oil will be absorbed, soften the rubber and make it swell. The only rubber that is resistant to oil attack is neoprene which is used in hydraulic systems and is the rubber from which "O" rings are made (usually). I believe that Steve's recommendation was directed to metal capstans for which a penetrating oil (WD40?) may well assist in removal, but keep it off the rubber!

P.P.
Old 6th Oct 2011, 4:32 pm   #8
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Hi Guys,

The horse maine loop works a treat!

However, boiling the pinch roller had no effect.

I lost audio for a while as a result of me playing with the record button. Sounds like some serious contact cleaning is needed on the play/record switch.

Could I just sand down the roller to take out the notch? I mean, its diameter is not critical. Even if it had a flat on it I'm sure that'd be better than a notch. I'm getting desperate here
Old 7th Oct 2011, 10:35 am   #9
Karen O
Rest in Peace

How about I fill the notch in with glue and then 'retread' the roller with a small tube of heat shrink? Has anyone ever done anything like this? Or am I grasping at straws?
Old 7th Oct 2011, 4:08 pm   #10
PaulE27
Pentode

Default Re: Philips 2202 cassette recorder

Karen

As you are obviously willing to try anything, why not try some rubber-solution glue to fill the notch - and then, when it is completely dry, lightly sand it down to get it level?

How easy was it to get the horse-mane loop? Do they come in packets of 100 or something? I have only two old Philips machines that need fixing ....

Regards

Paul
Old 7th Oct 2011, 5:01 pm   #11
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Philips 2202 cassette recorder

Hi Paul,

£1.75 for a big bag of probably several hundred!

I'll try the rubber solution glue idea

Best,
Karen
Closed Thread