UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2021, 4:09 pm   #21
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

Default Re: APT Electronic industries LTD Model 503 500V regulated power supply

This 1953 advertisement may be of interest.

I'm not sure where I got it from but it gives details of the range, apart from mine of course!

Later adverts may have included mine.

One thing I was surprised at, since looking at the posted circuit, was the use of tiny Hivac XFW40 wire ended battery valves V6 and V11. Not the sort of thing you normally expect in something like this brute.

Denis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf APT Power Supplies.pdf (3.19 MB, 64 views)
Old 11th Jul 2021, 4:32 pm   #22
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: APT Electronic industries LTD Model 503 500V regulated power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowasaki View Post
Because selenium is toxic and can cause death in relatively small amounts!
As I understand it selenium release from a rectifier only occurs in the event of catastrophic failure. This is sudden, and the infamous powerful stink as well as the failure of the supply alert you to it immediately, so there's no realistic prospect that you'll be ingesting it without being aware.

I don't think there's a history of people coming to known harm over the years that these things were in quite widespread use. And selenium isn't hugely toxic. It's a required trace element for good health, after all, and we consume it in our diet. It's just overdosing that can be the problem.

Cheers,

GJ