UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2021, 7:05 pm   #1
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Default Philips Radio Cassette play not engaging?

I am messing about with a radio cassette that will not engage play for some reason?

The tape brake (spelt wrongly in my photo- sorry) will not engage, it has a small lip that "clips over" the main part of the deck when play is engaged. Play is Extremely stiff and won't go far enough down when pressed.
I have uploaded two piccy's which only last a short time I believe via the imgbb.com photo sharing site- which expires in a month I think.

Photograph of cassette deck ****************/WtHFcn3
Exploded parts layout for deck ****************/8PRh7MZ

I found two small springs floating about inside, but cannot fathom where they came from,
Thanks
Old 30th Jun 2021, 11:04 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Radio Cassette play not engaging?

What Philips model # is it ?

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 2:34 pm   #3
Cruisin Marine
Octode

David

22RR712
With one big button for play and one for rew and forward. A bit like a EL3302 but not quite.
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 7:22 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you, I now have the Dutch Service manual.

Hard to say if the 2 springs could be the cause.

I can see at least 5 springs on the drawing items 27, 45, 48, 53 & 67 in addition to the 2 springs on the spool tables items 52, maybe other springs also that do not appear to be identified item number wise. Do your springs look like any of these ? can you post photo.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 7:45 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Marine View Post

David

22RR712
A bit like a EL3302 but not quite.
Does not look similar to me ?

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 10:19 pm   #6
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Hi, here is a photo of the two loose springs I found inside

****************/NZzVCc0

and here is a front on view of the deck

****************/5BYn6Cc

Many thanks
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:29 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well definitely not spring items 53 & 67, I assume they are not the springs on the spool tables (item 52) either.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:36 pm   #8
Cruisin Marine
Octode

No, 52 are in place, so I will keep searching tomorrow.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 9:47 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Most likely extremely difficult to see/access the relevant mechanical mechanisms.

The Play key on any recorder would normally press down with or without a cassette tape fitted, if the Fast Forward or Rewind key was pressed down (on some recorders a tape has to be in for these keys to work) this would mechanically interlock the Play/Start key from being pressed down.

So you need to try and follow the mechanisms connected to the Play key to try and work out what is stopping the key from moving, seeing if you can manually move any connected part which then allows the Play key to then move, then work out what is stopping that part from moving/being actuated when the Play key is pressed.

Also using the drawing try and establish where the springs might belong and see if that mechanism has anything to do with the Play key actuation.

All hugely easier said than done, good luck.

David
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 9:40 pm   #10
Cruisin Marine
Octode

A quick update to help any others may have this problem.

I found that a latching key just alongside the play button has partially crumbled, and that is stopping the play button going in to play mode.

It is behind a spring and under a metal plate and runs to the radio side of the play button and is just on the underside of the inner plastic chassis of the unit.

It is made of cream coloured plastic, and not to be confused with the clear/off white fitting that joins a grey piece of plastic that is a bit like a clevis movement.

Thanks to David who tried to help, but, I don't see this one being fixed-sadly.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 11:00 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done on finding it.

I guess it is a complex part that is not practical to easily make a replacement from metal or wood.

If you have the Service manual, could it by any chance be item 7 shown on Fig 1 on page 14 (14 is not actually shown on the page), this looks like it shows an old build version with the item 7 and a new version with no item 7.

David
Old 4th Jul 2021, 12:32 am   #12
Cruisin Marine
Octode

I guess it is a complex part that is not practical to easily make a replacement from metal or wood.

If you have the Service manual, could it by any chance be item 7 shown on Fig 1 on page 14 (14 is not actually shown on the page), this looks like it shows an old build version with the item 7 and a new version with no item 7.

I can't even figure out how to dismantle the inner plastic chassis to get right to it sadly. It is sandwiched behind a metal plate and the plastic inner chassis.

My manuals (I have downloaded a few) only go up to page 11, and this part is not shown as it is not part of the deck and is a sort of "add-on" I guess these decks were modified from another unit Philips made.
If I feel even braver, I may try to take it apart further, but, I cannot fathom how at this time for sure.
The closest thing I can think it is similar to is a lever inside a Chubb lock or the like.
If I do get any further, I will post up- I am at the stage where I am running out of containers to put screws and springs etc. in to lol.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 9:15 am   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The 15 page manual is available on elektrotanya.

David
Old 4th Jul 2021, 10:14 am   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I now see that there is also a 20 page version where the referenced page 14 is on page 18 of the PDF on elektrotanya.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 7:43 pm   #15
Cruisin Marine
Octode

No, I am pretty sure it isn't that either (I downloaded the large version of the manual btw). Fig 1 shows the bits around the fast forward and rewind buttons, but not the play button that I notice.

When I get the time and the courage, I will have another go and report back.
Closed Thread