UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2007, 7:02 pm   #1
danrocco
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N4414. Newbie - Looking for Info

Hi all, I have to admit I am by no means a reel to reel tape aficionado, other than thinking they are very cool.

I have just found a Philips N4414 reell to reel recorder in the car park outside my flat, and just wondered if anyone had any info about them. I cant seem tofind much on the net, and was just interested, when were they made, are they any good, anybody know how I can get a copy of a user manual etc etc.

Visually it lloks like it is in incredibly good condition, havent even plugged it in, so dont know whether it works or not yet.

Am very pleased with my new toy, just wondered if anyone had a bit more info about them to share, in particular what size tapes they take, i would love to get it up and running and actually use it!
Old 8th Aug 2007, 7:51 pm   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Philips N4414. Newbie - Looking for Info

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum or should I say croeso

You'll certainly find plenty of friendly advicde here and mine is make sure that the tape recorder is bone dry before you even think of applying electricity to it.

Good luck and I'll leave you to the Reel to Reel experts for the next bit.

All the best
Old 8th Aug 2007, 8:13 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Without wanting to sound too daft is it definitely a N4414? the only models that I can find any reference to are the N4416 and N4418, if you are able to post a picture of it that would help a lot.

Regards
Andrew
Old 8th Aug 2007, 8:46 pm   #4
danrocco
Retired Dormant Member

Definitely an N4414 - Cant post pics at the moment as I am stuck using someone elses computer after my hard drive failed last week. I appreciate that this probably describes a fair amount of reel to reels, but here goes - its about 19"x13" and 5" deep without the cover. Faux dark wood sides with strips cut out (for speakers?) Main part is dark grey plastic, section with buttons etc pressed metal.aside from obvious buttos such as play etc has a switch marked 1-4 ST 3-2 (I presume this relates to tape sides) and similar one marked 9.5 and 19. Has L+R Volume sliders on right hand side, tone and rec sliders below them. Covered microphone jacks at bottom on r/h side.

Badge says Philips hifi (High Fidelity International no less!) Stereo Recorder N4414.

I am really just interested to see if I could get it working more than anything, I am an ignoramus in terms of sound quality of these reel to reels etc, just interested in a project. Just so that anyone who may be giving me tips knows, while I know nothing about these things, I have an engineering background and am fairly handy with a set of spanners, so am not averse to a little precision taking apart of things! Will plug it in shortly and see if anything happens!
Old 8th Aug 2007, 9:07 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

The Philips 4414 is similar to the 4416.4418 etc.
It will most likely need new belts as is often the case with Philips machines.
I have one of these recorders myself and they do sound and look good when in good working order. Sorry to put a dampener on things but chances are, New belts needed..
I dont have any user manuals I'm afraid..
Peter W..........Reelguy
Old 9th Aug 2007, 12:01 am   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

I used to work on these in the Philips workshop in Waddon near Croydon. They came on to the market around 1972...maybe a year or so earlier but I was definately repairing them in '74. Quite a reasonable domestic machine...what was called an 'entry level' set. The next one up was the N4416 which had a lot in common with the 4414 and the Big Brother of this range was the N4418 which had logic control and other refinements.

As stated previously, probably belts required...I was replacing these quite regularly well into the late '70s so I don't know what any survivors would be like now!

Rich.
Old 9th Aug 2007, 1:42 pm   #7
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Philips N4414. Newbie - Looking for Info

As mentioned prior the 4414 was an earlier version of the 4416/8, it's three speed takes a 7" spool max. The flywheel belt & the two wind / rewind belts will most likely require replacing, readily available.

Doffery
Closed Thread