UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2023, 11:59 am   #1
doubletriode
Diode

Default Ferrite RF Level Control, October-1970 edition of "Electronic Engineering"

Hi,

I am currently researching a novel RF attenuator which uses a form of variable inductive coupling.

References to an article from "Electronic Engineering" appeared in the April 1971 Rad_Com "Technical Topics" column describing the attenuator under the heading "Ferrite RF Level Control" and directing readers to the original article written by Laurence Cachia of Australia.

The original and more detailed article appeared in the October 1970 edition of the magazine "Electronic Engineering". Sometimes called a "Cachia control" it was also patented by Philips Industries perhaps around the early 1970's.

Does anyone have a copy of the original article from the October 1970 edition of Electronic Engineering or the Philips patent number please?

Some back issues of Electronic Engineering do appear on the Internet but so far I have not been able to find the October 1970 edition.

Des (M0AYF aka doubletriode)
Old 10th Jan 2023, 4:21 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrite RF Level Control, October-1970 edition of "Electronic Engineering"

Hi Des, try the World radio history site. not a complete collection there but quite afew of the later ones. Unfortunately my collection only covers earlier years

Ed
Old 11th Jan 2023, 1:43 pm   #3
doubletriode
Diode

Default Re: Ferrite RF Level Control, October-1970 edition of "Electronic Engineering"

Hi Ed,

Thanks for posting and the pointer to the Word Radio collection.

They do have a few issues of Electronic Engineering but sadly not the one covering the attenuator.

Regards,

doubletriode
Old 13th Jan 2023, 10:23 pm   #4
John KC0G
Hexode

Des, here is a scan of the piece in Electronic Engineering. I could not find any details on the patent in either the Australian or European patent databases.

HTH and 73

John KC0G/M0KCY

Mods, if this file is larger than you like, please tell me what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electronic_Engineering_1970_10_Cachia.pdf (1.49 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by John KC0G; 13th Jan 2023 at 10:26 pm. Reason: more info
Old 13th Jan 2023, 10:37 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Note that it balances a single-turn-single-turn coupling against a phase-reversed multi-turn coupling. It can be reduced to a bridge circuit with balance/cancellation set by the remote variable resistor. Notice that the remote resistor gets signal RF applied to it, so the coax needs to be short for flatness.

There are other arrangements using DC to bias limbs of a magnetic amplifier sort of transformer to play flux diversion games. DC control makes things simpler.

David
Old 14th Jan 2023, 3:43 am   #6
John KC0G
Hexode

David, thanks for your comments

I found an enhanced version by Raymond Haigh in Electronics World, March 2001, p. 222. https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wir...1-03-S-OCR.pdf Haigh uses a FET as a variable resistor. The FET is DC controlled, as David suggests. I would be interested to know how what this circuit might look like without the AGC input

73 John
Old 14th Jan 2023, 5:10 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

As a circuit idea, it's been out there for some time, but never caught on. This begs the question why?

Firstly, it's a brifge nulling scheme, so high attenuation lies at the bottom of a sharp null and that means that the setting to get it is not too stable and adjustment is very sharp, so both where the null centres and how deep it is aren't well controlled. Delay time in the coax gives a phase error between the two paths, limiting null depth.

Secondly, at the time this appeared, PIN diode attenuators were really getting going. Stability with these is a lot better and bandwidth goes up to microwaves. True DC control.

The limitation with PINs is that the diodes have a carrier lifetime effect and set a transition frequency region. Higher freq and they look resistive - lossy and do attenuation. Lower frequency and they start dioding, and go non-linear.

David
Old 14th Jan 2023, 11:54 am   #8
doubletriode
Diode

Hi again,

First of all my thanks to all who posted a response and/or comment on the subject.

Special thanks to John KCOG for taking the time to post the original article from Electronic Engineering plus the bonus article from Electronics world.

My interest in this method of RF attenuation results from problems I encountered about 18 years ago while testing the font end of an old communications receiver. The signal generator I was using at the time was of rather poor quality with the result that at low levels the signal would "leak" making small signal measurements difficult :-( Any meaningful MDS measurements were impossible.

My improvised solution at the time was to use optical coupling with a short length of optic fiber so the signal source and receiver could be better separated. This worked well except the generic LED and photo-diode I used had an upper frequency limitation of around 3 MHz.

The Ferrite Attenuator looked like a straightforward and simple solution to provide some electrical isolation between the signal source and a receiver when working with small RF signals. In any event, I now have a more complete picture of the operation of the Ferrite Attenuator and providing core saturation is avoided and connections are kept short then it could still be a simple and useful method were good issolation between stages is required?

doubletriode (aka M0AYF)
Closed Thread